NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

55 Gas Tank vent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: 55 Gas Tank vent Reply with quote

Does the tank need a vent? I am pulling 130gph and my psi goes up and down but only around half tank. I replaced the tank and cap and I think it started then. As far as I can tell it does not have a vent.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could tell you.

I am thinking of changing over from mechanical fuel pump to an electrical fuel pump. I feel that I don't have enough gas flow at higher RPMs.

Would you or any other club members give me some coaching on where to place the pump, what type to buy, where to buy, and safety issues?

I don't even know enough to not know, what I don't know.

Thank you.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definately need a vented gas cap on a tri-5. Air has to displace the fuel that is being used.

Boxman, an electric pump should be as close to the tank as possible but you need a filter between the tank and pump to protect the pump. It's recommended to use at least a 3/8" line and tank sender from the tank to the pump.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: pump Reply with quote

I took the cap off and tried that I don't think it helped. I will add a vent somehow.

As far as the pump goes I have eddelbrock 130 mechanical but think it is going bad or just sucks. I am looking at an electric pump also but am having a hard time finding a location. Some people have put them on the frame in front of the spring but I dont think that is the good place. The pump needs to be close to the tank at or below the gas pickup. The pumps I have looked at are Holley 140 12psi black needs regulator and the Holley HP 125 no regulator 7psi. The problem with that is it mounts verticaly and is 6" tall. I am also looking at a BG it mounts anyware but it is $350 or more. All I know now is you need a relay and it is not going to be cheep changing over. Look at summit or jegs. Any help with location from anyone would be grate.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered one of these mechanical pumps. Their expensive but would be cheaper than converting to electric and probably more reliable.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_757835_-1

jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: no thank,s Reply with quote

Well the pump regulator and log are $500 abd you would need to run a line back to the tank. I think I will get a Holley HP 125 pump today.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: talked to holley Reply with quote

Called holley and they recomend the Blue or even better the HP 125. The HP is quieter and does not need a regulator. Should do 200-700 Hp. I fixed my problem I took the tank bag off and added a 8" -6 (3/Cool hose. I will add filter soon. It is now in the back of the tank and lower in the tank. I now have 7psi at half a tank. It now layes skid marks you can trip over. It never did that before. I think I will stick with my 130 mechanical pump with the MRP push rod for high rpm. If I did the electric pump I would do the HP hand it beside the tank vertical use a relay and stay with my -6. The pump must be vertical line down close to the tank. The pump is about the same sive as a small can of brake fluid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: