NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Header Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Header Help! Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to drop a 350cc sb back into my 1955 2 door post. I'm curious what brand of headers everyone has used. I know that there can be an issue with the header on the drivers side hitting the stock steering box. Will "Block Huggers" take care of this problem, or will I need to get a hammer with any brand or style that I get?
I appreciate your responces,
Jody Confused
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to install a set of headers,I would use Hooker Headers.
I tired a set of block huggers and I did not want to use a hammer.
I'am taking off my headers and installing a set of ram style exhust manifolds 2.5. From what I have read and heard they flow just as good as some headers.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: 55 Reply with quote

I have a 55 with a 350 alum heads and stock box. I use a long tube Hedman. I have had them for years and fit fine little tight but no hammer. I have had them in and out several times but cant remember if I put them in from under or on top. $265 3" collector at Jegs Hooker $165 at jegs. Patriot makes one that fit a 605 box but it is smaller 2.5 inch collector $200 jegs. You will also need a alternator bracket $30. Whatever you do get them coated I had mine done by Keith Craft in Plano ask for Michael 972-578-3550 I think it was $250 took about a week but my under hood temp was alot cooler. Their are more places in dallas look on the web.
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recomend Patriot headers. I have them on my '57, and they clear everything including the CPP power steering I have on my car. One question, do you still have the frame horns on your car? This can make a significant difference in the ground clearance of the headers. I used to have Heddman headers on my car but they were so low they scraped on the ground even over modest bumps. The Patriots are mid-length headers and will allow clearance with or without the frame horns. If you are going to use side mounts and a rear cross member, I would remove the frame horns. BTW, I highly recommend going to the side mounts and rear cross member. Good luck.
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Larry,
Well I went through with the ceramic coated Patriots. They installed very easily, and look great, however, with the old "double hump" heads with straight plugs, the tubes for the #1 & #2 position is VERY close to the plug. I've heard of a spark plug with a shorter ceramic stem than normal that may releave this problem. Does anyone know what plug this would be?
Thanks for the help.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: accel Reply with quote

You can go to summit look for part numbers or other short plugs. Harry hot rod sells accel plugs or order through summit. I have never used accel but I know they make short ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: