NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rearend ripoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: rearend ripoff Reply with quote

I took my third minmer out and took it to Eagle. Called to tell me it would be 1100 to fix. I took it out of the car and they are not putting it back in. I ordered all the parts for 320 from summit. He wonts to charge 350-375 to install the ring, pinion and bearings. Am I wrong this is way to much. He wonted to charge me 800 for a ring and install kit, does he think I am stupid. I will see if he is charging me to look at it monday. Any advice?
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the charge is too much for what ever reason the company chose. All the same there are a lot of performance oriented shops in DFW which are reasonable for our kind.
Did you check the club sponsors for their offering or suggestions?

Rear Gear setups are not rocket science. I set my first one up after reading a magazine article guide back in the early 1970's.
First thing off is most of the bearings are very robust and are reusable. The weak point in a gear set is the gears. I've never failed any third member bearing in my life. What does that say about extra charges for bearing changes?
Good luck.
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with Standard Transmission of Fort Worth on several occasions, including havieng the rear end gears changed in my '57 rear end, and found them to be reliable, reasonably priced and overal nice to deal with. Perhaps you could give them a call and consult with them on what you want to have done and see what they say.
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: REAR END REBUILD HELP Reply with quote

Call or go to Peyton Performance in Waxahachie. Had him put Richmond 3.55 gears in a posi-track. Talk to anyone in racing-he's the best! The guys at Eagle and these others are just pull the rear out, stick another rear end under it and collect. By the way, the positrack is still going great without any noise or problems-survived 4 HR Power Tours!
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know more about setting up a rear end because that is my next project.

I have been studying this site: http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/stalkerv6/torsen.htm

If you would guys please tell me where to buy a dial indicator to measure back lash? And, where would a person get a shim kit? I would prefer buying locally.

I have a posi unit I want to put in my 10 bolt. I have been setting on the unit for a long time because I feel such an intimidation about this process. But, on the other hand I have a strong desire to learn how to work on a rear end.

Tom, I'm sorry you are having such problems with getting your's fixed. Stories such as you have told us has kept me away from taking it in to be fixed. Besides, learning and preforming new auto mechanical activites is half the fun of having an old car, or least that is what I keep telling myself.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what I want ? $23 on ebay. I have a dial indicator but no base.

LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks exactly like what I have for my dial indicator. Larry
Frank Makarauskas
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not too late, check out the December 2007 issue of Chevy Classics, page 27.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: