NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Summer Vacation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: My Summer Vacation Reply with quote

To satisfy my Auto Hobby, I went to visit the Petersen Auto Museum located at: 6060 Wilshire Blvd. (at Fairfax,) Los Angeles, CA 90036. Here is a link to their web page.
http://www.petersen.org/.

What can a person say about one of the best museums in the world? I only wish there had been more cars and a few Tri-Fives on display however; my complaints are unfair to the museum. Every display had an enhancing diorama for the auto in display. All in all the Petersen was a very enjoyable museum. I highly recommend it for a visit.

I had a serendipity car moment my last night in LA. I was able to view a personal car collection. Since I had been in LA my friend David had increased his collection from 3 cars to 33 cars. After dinner together, David gave me a personal tour of his toys. I did not have my camera and therefore will have to remember the cars the old fashion way, in my brain. Most notable of David’s beautiful classic cars were 2 police cruisers and the Sargent's station wagon used in the “Adam 12” TV series 1968-1975; a motor cycle used by Eric Estrada in “CHiPs” TV series 1977-1983; as well as several vintage police vehicles of different styles. David is a big police supporter and has several honorary police commissions hence, he or others, most notably Kent McCord, star of “Adam 12” drive the cars in many parades and police functions.

Another car of interest to me was a 59 Ford driven by Tex Watson and Squeaky Frome, among others to commit numerous murders, most notably, the Sharon Tate and the La Bianca murders.

David explained, "This car was used because it was the only dependable running car at the Span Ranch, and this car was owned by a Span Ranch worker, who let them use his car."

David also has the only prototype produced Dale Auto, designed by Dale Clift. David explained, "There were also two mock-ups(shells basically), and one of those is the one at the Petersen museum, but mine is the ONLY prototype (running car). The Dale was a prototype three-wheeled two-seater automobile announced in 1974. The prototype was built by Dale Clift. The project was marketed by Mrs. Liz Carmichael a transsexual, born Jerry Dean Michael, as a 70 mpg car during the Arab oil embargo. Both Dale Clift and the investors of the Dale were scammed in a fraud scheme put in place by Michael. Of further note, David told me, Michael..."was caught as a result of Robert Stack's T.V. series, "Unsolved Mysteries", which did a show on the car."

For more info see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_(automobile)

All of David's vehicles are wonderfully filled with documentation and memorabilia, many autographed, about the vehicle and or its history.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat story .. neat trip ..

South Calif has alot of neat car things to visit .. not to hijack your story but I took a trip out west last fall, I wanted to hit the Petersen Museum but just ran out of time, (did cruise down Van Nuys Blvd!), but did visit the NHRA Museum in Pomona and it was well worth the stop for me .. Tommy Ivo happend to be there and chatted to whoever would listen about some of his history and cars there in the museum .. neat place to visit if you go out there ..

Wally Parks statue out front of the museum

Mickey Thompson's land speed machine from the early 60's

the classic Stone Woods Cook Willys gasser
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I didn't know about the NHRA museum. I wanna go see it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: