NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to determine my 1955 VIN Number information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
55 Chevy
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Trying to determine my 1955 VIN Number information Reply with quote

My Vin # which is on the plate attached to the driver door is VC0301799T55Z. I think V means it was a 8 cyl.,C means it was a Bel Air,0301799???,T means it was built in Tarrytown,55 means it was a 1955, and Z means it was a 235 ci 6 cyl 123 hp 3 speed manuel with overdrive.
My Tri-Chevy Red Book informed me of the above mentioned info, but what does 0301799 mean? I know it is probably the date it was built but the closest thing I can come up with is May 1955.I don't think I have the build date correct.Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Mark Lamkin
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, that's the serial number of the car from that plant. Each assembly plant numbered the cars in sequence starting at 1001, so your car was the 300,798th car assembled at Terrytown. I have seen a list of approximately how many cars each plant built, but don't know where I saw it. Sad
Don
55 Chevy
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: 55 Vin Info Reply with quote

Thanks Don for your information.
My Red Book says there were 254,690 Chevrolets assembled at Tarrytown
thru August of 1955 which was the total for Tarrytown for the 1955 model.
You mentioned that my car was #300,798.
If the book is correct, they didn't build that many.
My #301,799 dosen't make any sense to me.
Not any of the 10 plants made over 300,000.
Maybe I have the Vin # incorrect.I will exam closely the tag on the drivers door.
By the way there were 189,269 Bel Airs built for a total of 10.65% of all
models in 1955.
Thanks again,
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: