NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't get the hood hinge off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LorenB
150 series

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Can't get the hood hinge off Reply with quote

On my 56 I can not get the passenger side hood hinge off. The top bolt just turns. I guess the nut on the back side has come unwelded. Any suggestion on how to fix this? The only thing I can think of is to cut a larger access hole and get someone with a small hand to reach in and apply some JB Weld to the nut. That is if it would even hold. Would I have better access by taking off the vent grill?

Thanks for any ideas
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you grind off the bolt head?
orange56
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get to the back side of the nut from inside the car. It may be behind the firewall pad. I will look and see for sure.. At that point you should be able to get visegripes on it. Then you can use a regular nut or weld it back in place.
Kenneth
LorenB
150 series

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can cut the bolt head off but still have to be able to secure the nut on the back side. The nut is located in an air cavity for the fresh air vent with a very small access hole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: