NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Torque converter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two5S
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Torque converter Reply with quote

I am installing a 700R4 in my 55. I was told the tranny has a 2200 converter. The motor will be putting out approximately 275 to 300HP, am I ok with this??
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listed engine power is Okay for this tranny. But if the torque convertor has a 2200 rpm stall speed and is not a "lock-up" convertor then the car will need to be driven at an engine speed above 2200 rpm when in cruise condition. If not the convertor will be slipping, heating the transmission fluid, and reducing the transmission's life. If it is a lock up convertor then when the engine is below 2200 and in the lock-up mode such as cruising the slippage is a non event and the trans fluid will be normal temperature. Go to this site for more of the discussion. http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have a 2400 rpm stall converter on the 700R4 trans in my car, which has 325 HP to the back wheels; (327 with a B & M blower). If I had it to do over again, I would not go above 2000 stall. In normal driving, the car feels sluggish and the engine seems to rev up more than I would like it during a normal drive-away from a stop light. My trans is set up so when it shifts into OD, the converter locks up. The 2400 stall converter works good for drag racing though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: