NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEXAS LICENSE PLATES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: TEXAS LICENSE PLATES Reply with quote

As I understand it Texas residents will no longer be able to register there classic vehicles after December 31, 2010 using year of manufacture Texas license plates. Over the years every one of my classic vehicles and trailers have been registered using year of manufacture Texas plates. I have just recently registered a 1959 Cushman Eagle using a Texas 1959 plate. If you are planning on using year of manufacture Texas plates I would suggest you get this done well in advance of December 31, 2010 so your paper work would clear Austin well in advance of the deadline. I have been told I would be able to continue the renewals but no new registrations. Texas is seeing to it more and more of the special plate type registrations have to go to myplates.com and I think the prices are getting way too high. Texas gets their part and myplates.com has to make their profit Sad
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry,
So...what are the options. Many years past I registered an SS 396 with Texas special tags but after serveral years I decided it was not cost effective. So the car now sets un-registered and obviously un-driven. Now... does this new rule change the legality dealing with the the "classic car" tags?
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: TEXAS LICENSE PLATES Reply with quote

HI TOM, First option would be for you to sell me the car real, really cheap so here with the end of the year coming up you could maybe show a loss on your income tax Very Happy Now after waking up from that dream, if your tags are year of manufacture you have to get them registered on the vehicle before 12/31/2010 and keep your renewals up. Most other special plates you will have to go to myplates.com and pay for the plates and fees there.
If you didn't like the prices before your really not going to like what your going to have to pay myplates.com for the plates you have to get with them.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, do you know if this will change anything about "antique registration" as far a the 5 year renewal and use of YOM plates? I think "Antique" plates don't expire until 2013.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: TEXAS LICENSE PLATES Reply with quote

It is my understanding the year of manufacture plate is the only plate that you will not be able to REGISTER on a vehicle after 12/31/2010. If you are already running a year of manufacture plate you WILL be able to do the renewals with the vehicle it is NOW registered to. If you buy a 1957 Chevrolet after 12/31/2010 you will not be able to get 1957 texas plates from a dealer and put them on the vehicle you are transferirng into your name. ANTIQUE plates are not being taken out of the system, so as I understand it you will continue with your ANTIQUE plates.

If you want an old style plate or something different you will go to myplates.com this is the vendor that received the contract from The State of Texas to provide "SPECIALTY" plates for Texas vehicles, if you digest all the cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: