NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drum brake backing plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reefrider
150 series

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: drum brake backing plate Reply with quote

I replaced my axel bearingsawhile back.Its a stock 57 chevy 10 bolt 17 spline axels.Ive noticed a slight amount of lube leaking out of what looks like to be weep holes on the backing plates.i pulled my rear drums no fluid on brake shoes or drums so i tightend the backing plate bolts as hard as i could and i still have a slight leakage. Any ideas?
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm affraid you have a bearing leaking. The bearing has a seal between the races and a o-ring around it, so there should be no fluid getting past it. Usually when a bearing starts leaking, it is a sign that it is going bad. Link to bearing part numbers. ....http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1442175,parttype,1672
I understand there were some quality problems with the bearings from Classic Chevy (Ecklers). I don't know what brand they were.??
reefrider
150 series

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: backing plate Reply with quote

thanks for your info.yep has me pussled.i guess ill have to pull them axels againe.just seems wierd no rear end flid inside drum.oh well lolll thanks guy
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Axle leak Reply with quote

Check around around on pricing I got mine at Ecklers for several dollars less. Easy fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: