NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polishing stainless steel cost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smslinkard
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Polishing stainless steel cost Reply with quote

Trying to decide if I should pay someone to polish my existing stainless or buy new stuff. Can someone give me an idea what I should expect to pay someone to polish stainless? Do they charge by the foot or by some other factor? Thanks in advance for your help.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the condition of your stainless for the cost to restore. Check with Ken Young at http://www.classicstainlessshop.com/. I was happy with his "show quality" polishing. I just received some reproduction flippers for my hardtop and they need polishing to make them look like the rest of the stainless.
Don
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Polishing Stainless Reply with quote

It's not difficult to polish but it is time consuming. Save a dollar and do it yourself. Buffer motor with polishing wheels and polishing compound less than $50.00. A lot less than paying someone to polish if you have the time.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRENCHES has a buffer available to borrow, check out the details under the WRENCHES section and 'Specialty Tools' topic, if you're a club member (don't know who you are because your profile isn't filled out) you can borrow this or any tool listed in the 'Specialty Tools' topic over in WRENCHES.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Stainless repair Reply with quote

Polishing is one thing, removing small dents and scratches is quite another. How about someone who is experienced in all of the above giving a technical session some weekend?
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert by any means, however, I am giving myself a crash course in polishing my stainless trim. Also, please keep in mind that I'm not build a "show car", just a nice "driver". I was told that Trim Polish in Cameron, Tx. did very nice work....at $20.00 a linear foot. So on my BelAir, I figured it would be around $1000.00 - $1500.00. There is actually a lot of good information on YouTube. I purchased my Buffer Motor w/Buffing wheels, a stand, compound, and gloves for holding the parts, at Harbor freight for around $80.00. My recent experience has shown that you need to evaluate what grit of sandpaper to start with. If I have a piece that does not have any bad scratches or dents, I've been starting my sanding with 500 grit. If there are some deep scratches, I start with 320 grit and using a block when I can. After the 320 has seemed to do it's job, I then move on to 400 - 500 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 and finally 2000. By this time, the part has a pretty nice reflection. This is when I go to the buffer. I first use the brown compound on a spiral sewn wheel ( I think that's correct). Then finish with the green compound on a loose cotton wheel. I've been pleased with my results so far. Larry is correct, it's very time consuming. But if your persistent, the personal reward feels great.
Tapping out dents is a bit more tricky. Again, YouTube has some very informative segments on how to tap out the dents. In short, after tapping out the dent, you can start with the 320 grit on a block, sanding down high spots, then proceed with the graduation of sandpaper mentioned earlier. What I did to get my feet wet with this process, was to get one of the worst pieces I thought I would need to replace and use it to experiment with. This way, nothing lost, but, I just might gain a piece of trim I can use. The process is by no means the "way it should be done", it just seems to work for me and gives me a finish that I'm pleased with and it seems to be improving. There is a photo of one of my first pieces with my postings under the "Misc" forum, "Show Us Your Project". Good Luck..and be patient. Wink
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Stainless Polishing Reply with quote

If you decide to have someone polish your stainless, remove the cheap masking tape immediately after receiving it. It will become brittle within days. Hours will be wasted by you or a shop chipping it away then cleaning away adhesive residue. If stainless or chrome came with your car, keep it. I wasted many shop hours fitting an aftermarket grill when I could sent my original to Paul’s Plating and saved beaucoup bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: