NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more front travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: more front travel Reply with quote

I need to get more front travel out of my 55. It has stock springs and strange shock. If it id on the ground and I jack it up I only have 3". I have cut the bumper down and now the shock stops it. Would a lowing spring help? When I launch it hooks and then the front stops and unloads the rear. I can only get a 1.8 60 on motor and a 1.65 on nitrous,
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom -

maybe these would do the trick?

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=26001

Not sure this would be advisable for a street driven car but race only will get the front up I am pretty sure.
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: yea Reply with quote

been looking at that. I also found a upper ball joint spacer. I guess I could use that and shock exstension
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those posted 60 foot times don't sound bad to me. Deep gears a drag slicks could improve the numbers. My stocker '57 does the 1.8 second 60 foot times and I run 4.56 gears with drag slicks. The trick springs offered for TriFives and other cars let the car set lower in the front and therefore the front end travel is more because the car starts with the front end lower at the launch. We've used them as my brother's '55 had the Moroso "trick springs". But back to the steering geometry under acceleration, you don't want the tires skidding. All the car's gearing and the tires are the real contributors today with minimal front suspension travel.
Those ball joint spacers are poison. We did that "trick" back in the 1970's on my '57. It looks really cool when lifted under acceleration and makes for cool photos but the steering geometry is goofy to the point the front tires are skidding.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: angle Reply with quote

The guys at work think it is my pinion angle. Tom I know you have had yours set for years and I think david just did this. I have a -3 on trans and a +3 pinion angle. They say I need -3-4
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: slames Reply with quote

Just lowered the front looks good. Way low but I have 5.5 front up travel. Now I need to lower te back. What do you think of the caltracs at my hp 430 crank and 150 nitrous.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal Tracs are one of the best methods of traction adders for leaf spring cars, I got them on my '55 and although I have yet to spin a tire I am counting on them to do the trick. Their tech assistance is second to none and those guys will help you get them dialed in so I expect you should be good with some travel out of the front end now.

http://www.calvertracing.com/

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Yea I have called and they are very nice. I thought you had the springs? I can not wait to see you on the road. Your car is going to be nice. Just wonder if it springs will be woth the money.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I got my Cal Tracs (if I remember right, was over a year ago) they did not offer the split mono leaf springs for a '55, but did say they were available from another source and (again if I remember right) they or maybe in my research found that the mono spring may not be required to make it hook, so the plan is to use the multi springs at first and see what happens, if it doesn't hook as expected after some trials and tribulations then the split mono spring likely will be added
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: going next weekend Reply with quote

going out next Saturday to redline and see what will happen. I have not called or ordered the springs yet. This front thing might work. I was looking at a video and om the motor it jerks the front wheels off the ground and unloads the rear. On the bottle it does the same thing but faster. I am also going to lower the psi in the rear. I am trying to run a 7.0 class.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: it works Reply with quote

Well that worked pulled the front off about a 8" and ran a 7.30. Next time will run a 150 shot and see
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: