NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springs / Ride height

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
55jlc
210 Series

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Springs / Ride height Reply with quote

A few years ago I put dropped spindles and stock springs under the front of my '55. My car had begun to sit low on the drivers side so I broke down and got new stock height rear leaf springs, bushings and new shocks for it. I put them under there Sat. It sat way high in the back but looked good other than that. I took it for a test drive and rechecked everthing. It handles substantually better now. When I went out on Sunday it is already sitting a bit low on the drivers side. Any ideas what would cause this and what to do to fix it? Will these springs settle in and the rear drop any or much? I really don't want to put lowering blocks but it looks like I might have to if it doesn't settle/drop down on its own. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you personally put the new rear springs on? When putting new leaf springs on, you should always wait until the car is sitting on the ground before tightening the shackles. You might want to loosen them and retighten while it's weighted. While your down there, make sure the shackles are on correctly. Having the rearend much higher can mess with the geometry of the front end, reduce the caster so the thing won't steer correctly going down the highway, will "hunt" while at speed. Mine did this so I put some 1" spacer blocks in the rear, problem solved.
Hope this helps. Marv.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tighten the spring and shackle bushings with the full weight of the car on the suspension. If the rear end was hanging down when they are tightened, it can keep the rear from settleing.
Also, the front suspension can cause one side of the rear to appear to be sagging.
55jlc
210 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the shackles. I will get under it loosen and retighten the shackles and see if that helps.

If the front suspension can cause the rear ro apear to sag how would you adjust for that? It is the driver side rear that apears low.
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you but I'm 230+lbs, my car tends to steer in circles whenever I'm driving. Other than that, it would take a major failure up front (spring collapse, etc.) to effect the rear as much as you have described.
55jlc
210 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried loosening the shackles, bouncing it and retightening all. It didn't make any difference. I drove it some Sunday to see if that would make a difference, but nothing. It is still sitting low on the drivers side with no load in it.
black57

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of rear leaf springs . Thre's no need to replace the rear springs ,because you usually get the rear too high with replacement springs. You can take them apart and glass bead the leaves and rearch them cold and with a little practice you can raise the rear the amount you want . If anyone is interested I will describe how to do this ,. I have done over 20cars this way. It is hard work! black57
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: