NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smslinkard
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Headers Reply with quote

Need recommendation for headers for my 56 Bel Air w/ P.S. - Considering Patriot Exhaust Tri 5 Headers Mid length - 350 C.I. - Car is lowered 2" front and back - Any experience w/ Patriot products?
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Patriot mid-length headers on my car and am very happy with them. A couple of things you should know about them. First, you will need to remove the frame horns that are used for the factory bell housing mounts, they will interfere with the headers. There are headers that will go under the frame horns, but they will stick below the frame and may contact the ground if your car is lowered much at all. I ruined the first set of headers I had in this way and my car was barely lowered at all. My car has the late style side mounts and the rear cross member that mounts to the tramsnission tailshaft, so I removed the frame horns. Second, the collector is 2.5 inches in diameter instead of a 3.0 inch in diameter collector. This is not usaully a problem unless you want all out performance in your car. It was not a problem in my car as I am using a 2.5 inch exhaust system in my car and do not race much. One more thing, I have a CPP 500 steering power steering box and the headers do clear it, but it is close. Again, all in all I am ver satisfied with the Patriot headers. If you have anymore questions about them or would like to see them on my car, don't hesitate to contact me. Larry Rollow
smslinkard
Tri Five Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Headers Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - Several points you made apply to my situation and a problem would have occurred without your help. Thanks
DavidH
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Headers Reply with quote

LDRollow wrote:
I have Patriot mid-length headers on my car and am very happy with them. A couple of things you should know about them. First, you will need to remove the frame horns that are used for the factory bell housing mounts, they will interfere with the headers. There are headers that will go under the frame horns, but they will stick below the frame and may contact the ground if your car is lowered much at all. I ruined the first set of headers I had in this way and my car was barely lowered at all. My car has the late style side mounts and the rear cross member that mounts to the tramsnission tailshaft, so I removed the frame horns. Second, the collector is 2.5 inches in diameter instead of a 3.0 inch in diameter collector. This is not usaully a problem unless you want all out performance in your car. It was not a problem in my car as I am using a 2.5 inch exhaust system in my car and do not race much. One more thing, I have a CPP 500 steering power steering box and the headers do clear it, but it is close. Again, all in all I am ver satisfied with the Patriot headers. If you have anymore questions about them or would like to see them on my car, don't hesitate to contact me. Larry Rollow

Hi Larry,

I have 327, with new side motor mounts (3/4 forward),CP500 steering box,Muncie tranny. It sounds like the Patriot header you are using will work on my 55 Chevy. Do you remember the part number for those headers?
All welcome to speak up....please.

Thanks David
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: HEADERS Reply with quote

David,
I have the Patriot headers on my '57 with 2-1/2" exhaust basically same set up as Larry Rollow with out any problems. I will say that the prices vary a little so shop around. Mine were about 10% lower than Summit & Jegs.
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my Patroit headers several years ago from Thermal tech Coatings. At that time they had the best price I could find. Model t8025C. www.thermaltechcoatings.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: