NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlight Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tennessee55

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Headlight Issue Reply with quote

I recently installed new Halogon headlights(55watts) each, on my 55 Bel Air. I thought everything was cool, but now as soon as the lights have been on for a few minutes they start blinking off and on, sometimes even going out completely. I have replaced headlight switch and dimmer switch to no avail. I am thinking maybe the headlight switch is not able to handle the extra watts of the halogon bulbs? Anyone got any ideas? By the way it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not it does the same thing. I appreciate your thoughts. Tenn55
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems with my turn lights. My problem was corroded connectors. I would also check your ground points for rust, as you know car DC current uses the body for the ground, the problem that made my dash board lights not work. Since you have changed all the mechanical parts, next I would check the wires for a short or break in the wire.

Last edited by 57boxman on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headlights ARE circuit protected with a 13 amp thermal circuit breaker built into the headlight switch. The circuit breaker opens with too much current and then closes when it cools off, causeing the blinking effect. Try disconnecting one headlight and then the other and see if the problem goes away with only one headlight in the circuit. You may need to install some relays on the headlights.
Royrobinson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Issue Reply with quote

tennessee55 wrote:
I recently installed new Halogon headlights(55watts) each, on my 55 Bel Air. I thought everything was cool, but now as soon as the lights have been on for a few minutes they start blinking off and on, sometimes even going out completely. I have replaced headlight switch and dimmer switch to no avail. I am thinking maybe the led lighting headlight switch is not able to handle the extra watts of the halogon bulbs? Anyone got any ideas? By the way it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not it does the same thing. I appreciate your thoughts. Tenn55

YOu need to get led lights as they are much better then halogen.

Last edited by Royrobinson on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Headlights Blinking on and off Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem with my flamethrower headlights and NEW light switch from Danchuk. They said to solder the contacts together on the overload thermo switch that acardon was talking about. The circuit is protected by a fuse anyway, shouldn't cause any fire risk. That fixed it for me.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Issue Reply with quote

Royrobinson wrote:
YOu need to get led lights as they are much better then halogen.

Roy, do you have a source for the LED headlights cheaper than $300. each?
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlights Blinking on and off Reply with quote

Marv Cowden wrote:
The circuit is protected by a fuse anyway, shouldn't cause any fire risk. That fixed it for me.

The circuit is fused ONLY if you have an updated or aftermarket wiring harness. The headlight switch goes directly to the battery, if you have original stock wiring.
The headlight fuse in a updated ATO fuse block should be a circuit breaker and look like this.
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Good point Reply with quote

Good point!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: