NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Flow Problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel Flow Problems? Reply with quote

I had a weird thing happen the other day. I started my '57 and it ran for a moment then stalled and would not restart. I checked the fuel pressure gauge and it read zero. I poured some gas down the carburetor and the car started up and kept running. The pressure gauge was now normal.

Background. My gas gauge tank sender had gone bad and I replaced it last week, however I dove 90 miles since the repair before this happened.

Today, I started her up and no problems.

What's up with that?

Ps. I have a mechanical fuel pump that is only a few years old.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuel line connection at the sender. If it is a tiny bit loose, the pump can suck air instead of fuel and since there is no pressure on the line, a leak may not be obvious.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don you were right on again, I found that I had a broken hose clamp that had come loose. The connection was just weeping, but enough to suck air.

Thanks Buddy,

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: