NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Filters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

I have used Fram oil filters for years, never had a problem with them, but there are a lot of videos on the internut knocking them because they are the only filter made that uses paper (!) endcaps on the filter element. All others use metal. Also, the bypass mechanism seems kinda mickey mouse, too.
Has anybody out there had a bad experience with Fram? Prefer another brand?
I hope everone is dying to share their opinion here.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had used Fram filters for years, until I was told the same thing at a parts store. I have since quit using them. However, I never had a motor problem with any of my cars I have had over the years that I used Fram filters. In the past I would get to just over 100,000 miles and the motor would run fine. But, then the windows would not work, the radio would quit, or springs would break in the seat, etc, etc, etc.... All deal breakers for me. I have never driven a car over 115,000. Now, I have my oil changed at the car wash, except in my '57 where, I change the oil myself out of my sense of nostalgia. And, I only have to change the oil in the old girl once a year.
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: More on filters Reply with quote

Thanks, Alan. I had a Nissan 240SX that I put 240K miles on, always used Fram filters, changed the oil and filter every 3k miles. The car ran like new the day I sold it.
I saw videos of Fram filters with gaps in the paper filements, that scared me. I just ordered a Pure Power oil filter for my Trailblazer. Its a take-apart, wash and reuse job. I have one on my wifes car, someone gave it to me, it does a great job of keeping the oil clean and is easy to use. Expensive, yep ($200) but I plan on keep my trailblazer for 200K miles. It will save me money in the long run and do a superb job of keeping my engine inards clean.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some research on this topic (for what it's worth).

Fram does not have a good reputation from those in the know, although they have a great marketing program.

I have seen many good things about NAPA Gold or Wix filters (both made by Wix). That is what I use in all my vehicles. You can get pretty good prices by searching on the internet instead of buying local retail.

Another good source of info on oil, filters and related items is
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: