NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holly Carburator Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Holly Carburator Parts Reply with quote

At the drags last week my secondary float kept sticking open. I found one of the screws of the secondary metering body was in the float bowl. Under further instruction I found the secondary metering body was cracked.

Does anyone know of a place to buy one? O’Reillys will take 5 to 7 days to order one. Auto Zone can’t even get one. I have not tried NAPA yet

wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've never seen or heard of those thin metering plates cracking.

There were some replacement secondary metering plates offered that allowed the use of standard jets, which is a good choice, or......

If your not running a duel quad set-up the option I recommend is to do a conversion to the metering block style. It's competative to the price of a new metering plate and quite simple. Jegs/Summitt has that stuff.

This arrangement allows the use of jets for the secondary fuel bowl which allows infinite fuel metering selections.

We can help you with the details should you have the need.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedtek is one choice, Harry's Hot Rod is another.. actually any 'independant' type shop that has any performance parts can get them likely, it all comes from pretty much the same wholesale distributors in Dallas, except for maybe the big chains like Orielly and Autozones ...
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Tom's advice and bought a conversion secondary metering body from Summit. It went on without a hitch and the motor started right up. I even drove the old girl to work today.

New problem: Today I noticed smoke coming out of the hood. It seems I have a bad oil leak. A few years ago I broke a rocker arm and while fixing it I replaced the valve cover gasket. The oil leak is really an on going problem. I have been tightening the cover screws tighter and tighter to make the leak stop. I guess I have taken it so far nothing stops the leak now. The the gasket I have is an Auto Zone. Can anyone give a recommendation of a good palace to buy valve cover gaskets? I have those thin chrome valve covers. I should get the thicker valve covers. I had the chance to have a free aftermarket corvette set of covers. But, my motor is from the mid 70's and it needs holes in the covers for the pvc valve and to put in the oil. The set I could have had had no holes. Crying or Very sad They did look cool. I thought about drilling holes but don't the tools to cut them and make them look good.

Alan
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a decent gasket of any kind will work .. you might invest in these 'load spreaders' http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=16935&parentCategoryId=11355&langId=-1 .. that will help on thin valve covers to spread the load when you tighten.. the thing YOU DON'T WANT TO DO IS OVER TIGHTEN .. all you do is destroy the intergrity of the gaket and it then leaks more.. sounds like that might be what is going on.. just snug it good and your done.. those thin valve covers are notorious for leaking..kinda like those chrome water pump housings you get from Mr Gasket .. worthless ..
55jlc
210 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you put on a new gasket make sure the surface is flat. I have seen several that have been bent around the holes from overtightening. Sometimes this will keep the corners from sealing. A hammer and a block of wood works wonders.
Jim
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks Jim I never thought or heard of that. I'll give it a try. I hope that's a easy fix for the old girl. Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: