NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwback Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1985 and the DACC will be playing host to it's second Classic Chevy Convention where nearly 300 '55-'57 Chevys came to Dallas for this event that included cars from Illinois, Canada, California, Pennsylvania and the Long Distance Award went to Bill Hollywood of Ketchican, Alaska who drove his '55 to Dallas! It was a July 4th weekend to remember and here is the information printed in the Classic Chevy World magazine promoting the event.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's March of 1976 and the DACC has it's first meeting, an informal one held in the parking lot of Northpark Shopping Center. This meeting was organized by Greg Easley of Sherman who put the efforts into seeing if there was an interest in creating a '55-'57 Chevy club in North Texas. Greg had displayed his '55 Bel Air (seen here at that first meeting) at the Dallas Autorama earlier in the year and collected names of those who expressed an interest in forming a club for the Tri Fives. He mailed everyone (no email in 1976!) on the list and 15 or so cars showed up and from that the DACC took off. Greg spent many years after that driving each month from Sherman to Dallas attending club functions and was the club's first President. Greg, an Honorary Lifetime Member, eventually sold his '55, but occasional attends a club function and follows the activities of the club he started 38 years ago.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's give Greg Easley a few more kudos on this week's Throwback Thursday for starting this deal almost 40 years ago, here he is in 1981 accepting his plaque as a Lifetime Honorary Member of the DACC.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this weekend is the Autorama weekend, this weeks Throwback Thursday will feature a photo from that show from around 1979. DACC had their normal '55-'57 Chevy display and my '55 was one of the cars in the display, Ms. Hurst, Linda Vaughn (the ultimate car gal) was one of the attractions at the show that year and I luckily was able to get her to stand next to my '55 for a photo ...

Very Happy

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We 'Throwback' to 1984 this week, and we are at the 2nd Annual Lone Star Classic Chevy Convention held that year in Grapevine and hosted by the Cowtown Classic Chevy Club. Here winning the prestigious 'People's Choice' Award that year was DACC member and past club president Earnest Lander with his beautiful 1957 Chevy convertible. Earnest remains a DACC member today!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Thursday so it must be Throwback time .. and this week one of the country's top '55-'57 Chevy restorers belonged to the DACC (actually DACC did then and still today has some of the countries finest Tri Five 'authorities') as this is Ray Trevathan with one of his many mid fifty Chevys that he owned, this a '55 Nomad on display in 1978 on the showroom floor at Late Chevrolet (now Reliable Chevrolet) in Richardson where DACC today still maintains a Classic Chevy on the floor (see them here http://www.dallasclassicchevy.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=596&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week we go back to 1981 and the State Fair of Texas Parade in Downtown Dallas. The DACC was invited to drive a group of '55-'57 Chevys in this big annual event and member Steve Jung lead the way in his '56 pickup and matching trailer that carried the DACC banner down Main Street!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback takes us back to the very beginning, to those first meetings in 1976 in the parking lot of what was then the new Northpark shopping mall in Dallas. Getting folks together with similar car interests proved very valuable as members could help each other with parts and knowledge, which at this time there were no parts except what might be still at a dealerships back stock room or in someone's garage stashed away. Rick Smith was one of those early members of the club who had a beautiful '55 Bel Air that was very striking, kind of a spin of the '34 Ford 'California Kid' theme but with a '55 Chevy. This car turned heads everywhere it went with the eye popping paint job, wire wheels, AC and other little things that are today common on the modified cars but then hardly seen. Rick had parts, and each month would load up his trunk with goodies and come to the monthly meetings and folks would gather around and see if there was something they needed. Almost a '55-'57 Chevy Santa! Not sure what happened to Rick and that gorgeous '55 but that '55 will always be remembered by the earliest members of the club.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I joined DACC in 1987 and have been a member ever since. Larry Rollow
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this week's Thursday Throwback, we are in Oklahoma, and in the late 70's each September the Classic Chevy Clubs in Texas and Oklahoma would converge on Ardmore for the annual Ardmore Classic Chevy Run and this unique black '57 showed up, one that you don't normally see and frankly don't recall ever seeing it again .. wonder where it is? ...

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback goes to 1987, when for several years during this period of time the DACC hosted each summer a 'SHOW-N-DRAGS event where '55-'57 Chevys were judged against the traditional 1000 point Classic Chevy Club guidelines in the pit area and races were conducted on the drag strip just for the Tri Fives. Here in 1987 at the then new Texas Motorplex in Ennis a pair of Chevys battle it out on the strip.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the club has drag racing on the calendar for this weekend, let's continue that theme with this Throwback Thursday shot from again 1987's Show N Drags at the Motorplex of Tom Walker warming his tires prior to a pass in his '56 Sedan Delivery which he still races today!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback Thursday has us in the State Capital of Texas in June of 1983 when during the first ever Lone Star Classic Chevy Convention, the small group of '55-'57 Chevy enthusiasts that attended this event cruised the streets of Austin and made a stop in front of the Texas State Capital.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this week’s Throwback Thursday I want to recognize a friend of mine who passed this past Monday that loved Chevys and especially '55 Chevys - Dick Demets. Dick was a drag racer that I meet years ago and we developed a friendship that lasted over 3 decades. Always a Chevy guy, he got the bug back in the 80’s to jump on the nostalgia funny car bandwagon and he put together a very eye catching yellow ’55 Chevy Funny Car. He enjoyed this car alot as he was a big fan of ’55 Chevys and this race car was his tribute to the legendary '55 Chevy year model. Dick was a club member for a short time period and I was able to talk him into bringing his ’55 to the Texas Motorplex along with club member Bobby Dillard for a side by side photo shoot and feature that included both ’55 Chevys, one a radical race car and one all original. This feature appeared in Classic Chevy World magazine and got alot of comments. He sold the ’55 years ago and now it is in Canada running up and down dragstrips there. Here is a couple of photos from that photo shoot that took place in the late 80’s in Ennis. RIP Dick.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback Thursday will focus on the Lone Star Classic Chevy Convention since we will have members heading to Houston this weekend for the 32nd Annual Lone Star event, this photo taken at the Lone Star III convention in 1985 held in Amarillo and hosted by the Top Of Texas Classic Chevys appeared in the Amarillo Daily News Globe, Ron and his '55 made the front page and one has to wonder where that '55 is and for that matter where Ron is also, who as it states was 29 at the time which would put him at about 58 years old now ...

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage

Last edited by David Graves on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: