NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing door windows, side windows and vent windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Replacing door windows, side windows and vent windows Reply with quote

My window fur channels got so bad that at least one door window cracked from the vibrations of the car. With that problem and other problems with the side glass, I am in the process of replacing the channels and windows.

I have been looking for directions and below is what I have found so far.

Before starting, roll your window to its "up" position. This will allow easy access to the inner door assemblies.

Clamp the window in this position, taking care not to scratch the glass (when the window regulator assembly is removed, nothing will be supporting the glass).

Tip: We recommend wearing long sleeves while working inside the door assembly. Sharp edges can easily cut skin! If necessary, use flashlight and small inspection mirror to make sure that rollers are firmly set in tracks.

Is it just me or did they leave out a few steps?

Please give me words of wisdom, hints, tricks, and things to avoid in replacing my windows. If you have a link to a good site with good instructions please send it to me.

On another chat board, a Tri5 owner was replacing his windows to put in electric window openers. I don't want to do that, I actually like the nostalgia of the crank windows. But he broke one of his windows installing it. I DON'T want break anything and given half a chance, I will break a window. What to do to insure no cracks or breakage?

I'm saving the front and back glass for later. I'm afraid of rust on the rubber mounts. When I paint my car I will replace and fix that issue.

Please give me your knowledge or at least your 2 cents.

Alan

SEE YOU AT THE GARAGE CRAWL MARCH 14.

57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin have you replaced door glass? Did you have any problems? I don't want to make a mistake, because of my not knowing any better. Your telling me about not hard bolting down an Aluminum radiator, but rather to support from the bottom and use rubber bushings, now has me worried about replacing the glass. I can read the Danchuck instruction, but when push comes to shove I just look at the pictures. I'm am an oral learner!

Signed,
The person that will always prove Murphy's Law is really a law & he who has too much time on his hands while on vacation.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, Ecklers has a reprint of some Fisher Body information that may help. http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-manual-fisher-service-news-number-2-volume-15-6-1956.html
Although this drawing is not a 55, the window mechanism works the same way. The upper cam track is screwed to the window sash or setting channel. 2 rollers of the regulator go in the upper cam track and the other roller goes in the lower cam track. The glass is not that fragile. I'm not sure about a 2 door, I think the vent window has to come out to change the glass. ..... http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0746.htm
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan
I have taken my windows out and reinstalled
I recommend patience and pay close attention
To how they are removed I could not find any
information for my installation and had a few
Tense hours before I got them to work
Tense is the nicer way of saying it!!
Have fun especially with the rear windows

Larry

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: