NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Filters - Good and Bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Oil Filters - Good and Bad Reply with quote

I learned along time ago that NAPA Gold and Wix were some of the best out there when it comes to oil filters, and that Fram you should stay away from. The NAPA Gold or Wix is all I use on my engines. I came across this video and boy does it explain it well ... check it out ..

https://youtu.be/iTNJLEV8CG8

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting video. I also use Wix filters. Thanks for posting. Larry
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing this video and a similar one a few years ago I started using NAPA Gold , Wix And currently have K&N filter. More expensive But how often do you change the oil anyway and less expensive than a new engine!

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
Jim Ham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Are More Complicated Than I Thought Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 56 Bel Air with a blown small block chevy V8. The wonderful guy who built it wanted it to be a down low racer, but in fact it was used only for an occasional joy ride. It has a Wix racing (R) filter, which is highly praised here. But the box the racing oil filter came in contains a warning that it is not intended for street use and may cause premature wear. Upon my further investigation, it seems the filter may have aspects that may not be advisable in a restomod street car that is going to drive to the coffee shop and go on a few car tours, but won't be on the track. From what I read, it may be better for my engine, with more cold oil starts, to have a high quality non-racing oil filter because i don't tear down the engine every time I run it and don't intend to change the filter every time. Any thoughts or comments or suggestions?
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim .. the praise for Wix (and the Napa Gold equivalent) are for their regular filters - not the Wix Racing filter (although the Wix racing oil filter is a great filter). The difference in the Racing vs Regular relates to flow. The racing filters are less restrictive and allow for more flow. Whereas the regular filters filter smaller microns and capture the smaller fragments that can be found in between street engine oil changes. The racing filters will let that go by only capturing the larger fragments, but the racing oil gets changed much more frequent so long term damage doesn't take place from those smaller fragments that slip by. And as a FYI, I run a blown big block nostalgia front engine dragster that is punished, but I use the regular Wix filter on it with success. My dragster gets fresh oil and filter after each event we race and I have yet to have a major failure (fingers crossed!).
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Oil filters Reply with quote

NAPA GOLD 1060 or 1061 have had a dramatic increase in price. Last year I purchased a FIL1061 for $3.99 and today $13.99!
Maybe we could buy in bulk to save a little?

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually buy multiple filters .. FleetFilter.com is my normal source .. Shipping is added but if you spread that fee over several filters it lessens the cost. Wix 51060 (or NapaGold 1060) is $6.40 a pop plus shipping. I see Summit has them at $8.99 at the moment, and I see on Amazon you can get one for $7.47 a pop .. Last I heard we got an inflation problem and it's hitting everything!
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INFLATION!!!!!!
At Presby Hospital for Dr Appointment

Small cup of coffee $3.25
I almost passed out!!

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Jim Ham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. David, you have correctly stated what I understand to be the major difference between racing and non-racing auto filters. I need to replace a Wix 51061R with the non-racing equivalent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: