NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disc Brake Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

I thinking of installing new disk front brakes for my '57. How would you rate the difficulty of making a conversion? I am not rating the mechanical difficulty, but the difficulty of making the new brakes work correctly. I have been hesitant about a conversion, because of the complaining by guys about their conversions not working well on the Tri-Five forms. Then, last night I read a reply by a guy who informed the poster that there are several sensitive adjustments to be made. What he was saying is that you have to be smarter than the equipment! So, I'm asking how smart do you have to be?

Also, has the prices gone down on the kits? Or is the one, in the link below, just a no good cheepo model? I just want good brakes for a driver. I don't want a set that I'm going to need for racing Autocross

Finally, for best practices, do you recommend new break line through the whole car?

Would this be a one day job if we got the WRENCHES together?

Thanks

Signed, "He who is living on borrowed time with a single Master Cylinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310979836571?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offset, or the amount the disc rotors move the wheels out, is the problem with a lot of disc conversions. Is your car lowered? What size tires do you have in front? The tires are more apt to drag the fenders when turning, on a 57 than a 55 or 56, with some conversions.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tires are 225/60 R15. The outside offset of wheels are 3 inches and offset is 5 inches on the inside of the wheel. The front end had not been lowered. There is 2 inches space from the tire sidewall to the inside lip of the fender well.

I plan on only using disks on the front and keep the drums on the back that are on the 10 bolt rear differential.

What do you think?

As of know the inside of the tire rubs the sway bar at full turn.

Alan
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that much wheel offset on the inside, you shouldn't have a problem with that kit. You might ask Mutton Hollow how much the tires are moved outboard with their discs. I have heard that they are a reputiable vendor.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent them those questions and waiting for a reply.

My next concern is why this kit costs $500 and a kit on CCP is twice that amount?
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
You may have to 'roll' the inner fender trim for clearance, I had to on my car but it is not a problem.

CPP is just more proud of their stuff.

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers to my questions. One more question, how long does it take to convert the breaks in man hours?

I will drop off the map for a while. I am having carpal tunes surgery on Fri.

Alan
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Front Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Plan on a full day to take your time[/i]

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
56Rick
210 Series

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Disc Brake conversion Reply with quote

Hopefully you will have better luck getting the ball joints loose than I did! Took me a couple days of soaking in penetrant and beating with hammer and impact to get lower joints loose.
Personally, I would plan on 2 weekends, but then I'm old and working by myself. Wink
56Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: