NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

traction bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: traction bars Reply with quote

Do I need traction bars. It hooks up fine I think little spin but not much. Have 4 leaf spring, lakewood 50/50, 70/30 front, 235/60/15 BFG, 3.55 posi, 383 with 360rwhp and 2,500 converter.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on my car because I believe it to be in the stlye of early70's hot rods, which is my theme. If your car does not wheel hop I would say no because I don't see much weight transfer to the rear tires from the pair I have.
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several types of traction bars available. There are the old style "Traction Master" type that are simply bars that connect the bottom of the spring pad with the frame. They will probably control wheel hop. Then there are the Lakewood style slapper bars that will actually lift the rear of the car using the twost of the rear axle housing as the aprings deflect under the torque of the rear axle. They will negatively impact the ride. I have the Cal Trac type that are a combination of the two types listed above. If the Cal Tracs are adjusted to have maximum tractive effort, they will also negatively impact the ride. I ususlly adjust mine so that they have little or no effect on improving the traction for street driving, but adjust them up for drag racing. As Boxman says, if you don't have a problem, you may not need them. But wheel hop is very destructive to the rear end gears and you don't want to have it at all. So if it wre me, I would install tracton bars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: