NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil pan size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: oil pan size? Reply with quote

What oil pan size? I have a sbc with 420hp at 6100rpm 360rwhp. I race a few times a year but not much mid 13. I use a standard pump and will continue thanks to Davids tech post but I have a 4qt pan. It has worked fine but would I be better off with a 6-7qt pan? Do you think it would run the motor cooler?
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4 quart oil pan is fine.
I've used an oil temperature gauge to answer the question you posted.
Basically the oil temperature always was 10-12 degrees hotter than the liquid coolant temperature going to the radiator in highway cruise condition.
In the winter when the Prestone was 180F the oil was 190F. In the summer when the Prestone was 190F the oil was 200-205F.

But you have to admit...nothing's cooler than a deep oil pan hanging down under a hot rod TriFive!!
rapid roy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do not have a clearence problem and can afford 7 QT of oil per change, other than a dry sump it is the only way to go. the main perpose of the deep pan is not only for volume and heat transfer but to keep the crankshaft as far away from the oil cloud as possible. i would recomend uesing the the truck filter [2-qt] if you have room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: