NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cal-trax what hole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Cal-trax what hole Reply with quote

What hole are your cal-trax in, Top bottom?
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom ..

There is no simple answer when it comes to setting up Cal Tracs.. I have been learing about these as I have a set for my '55 that I am building and from what I see, each car is different.

I have their front and rear shocks as it is important for the car to hit the tires at the launch. Which leads to having good tires, preferable slicks. Good traction bars will not make bad tires good. Also you want the front end to lift somewhere between 2-5 inches I have learned, which is part of the shock/spring combo on the front.

A key part of tuning the Cal Tracs is to video tape the car at launch and study what is happening in slow motion. It is important to learn if the car is spinning at the hit or hitting good and then spinning further off the line. Only a slow motion video will be able to help there.

It is important to know which it is because each direction is oppostite to correct. If it spins right at the hit before moving at all, you need to hit the tire harder. That means upper hole, no pre-load, softer shock setting, lower foot brake RPM. If it hooks a bit then comes un-glued you need to slow the suspension action down by adding pre-load, lower hole, tighter shocks, higher foot brake RPM, etc.

There is no simple answer. It takes launch after launch with documentation to determine the approach to get the tires to hook. Also John Calvert himself is very approachable if you don't like talking to the techs but I have found them pretty good so far.

I am just looking forward to when I can start testing mine!
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: man Reply with quote

I wonted a simple answer. Thanks now I know. I have front and rear shocks on the way. I don't think the rear springs will be grate on the street. I also think I will loosen the sway bar at the track. A good burnout will be good also. See you on the 11th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: