NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

replacing air compressor - any tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: replacing air compressor - any tips? Reply with quote

my 25 year old 20 gal Craftsman compressor finally had a rust leak in the bottom of the tank, need to replace - tank no longer available .. been a while since I studied air compressors, any tips?
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your next compressor be sure to put a moisture trap between the compressor and the tank. Draining the trap perdiocally will greatly extend your tanks life.
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger is better! For car work the 240 volt varients are recommended with a large tank. Craftsman has good products. For light sand blasting even 2 hp is too small.
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Reply with quote

I have a 60 gal, 5 HP 240V twin cylinder compessor. Works great on my nail guns and air tools. The grinders I have, even the small die grinder, keeps it running if you stay with it for any time. I've not tried to paint so I can't say how it would hold up, but it does a great job what I need it for.

Check out the Home Depot; Lowes, Northern Tool etc.
55jlc
210 Series

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I was at the Sears Parts/Repair Center on Valley View and they had a number of defective compressors for parts only, in an assortment of sizes. Most of them were very cheap. Don't know if they might have what you need or could make work or even if there are any left but it would be worth checking out.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys..

after some studying up ..
here is what I chose and why ..
my need is not for a professional setup, but something that can keep up with air tools and paint spraying without a problem ..

- I needed a 20 gal minimum horizontal tank to fit under a work bench - my garage is space challenged and under a work bench is my only choice
- I wanted a oil lubricated compressor vs a oil less compressor, the longevity is better and is much quieter when running
- I wanted a 220 volt motor, already have the plug in place and 220 will demand less electicity than the 110
- I wanted a cast iron pump vs steel sleeve alum pump - better durablity and cooler operation
- I wanted a higher SCFM at 90psi than the run of the mill compressor for hobbyists to run the tools at their best

what I ended up with is a 26 gal, 240v, twin cast iron pump, 6 hp motor, oil lubed compressor with 10.3 SCFM at 90 psi Campbell Hausfeld compressor

I found it hard to find the quality that I wanted without going to a 'professionally level' compressor and the price tag that goes with it .. but this CH compressor seems to fit the bill for me .. if you need to buy, do some homework because there is alot of junk out there..

Jim - I will go visit the Sears parts center and see if I can find a tank and if so will use this as a backup or other use, otherwise I guess I will pitch my old Craftsman in the garbage .. with a 4 HP motor 220V motor, it has been a great compressor and I hate to pitch it just because of a rust hole in the tank .. but oh well ..

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Compressor Reply with quote

David, are you able to share where you made the purchase and what kind of bucks are involved?
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure ..

from http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/

kind of a online outlet store for Campbell Hausfeld

model is a VT6271, just a tad over $600 that includes shipping ..

you can google it and find it at a number of places online, but I was not able to find it local .. so I did the online thing ..
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: