NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHOW US / TELL US about your projects!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress update: The car was taken to the "glass guy" today!!! Whooo-Hooo!!! It should be done there in 7-10 days, then back to the body shop for a final detail before finally coming home Very Happy
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks, It's been a while since I made a posting. The car now has glass and is back at the shop that did the body and paint for final adjustments and some paint touch up where the there a few scratches created as the chrome was re-installed. So now, I'm chomping at the bit to get her home so I can get started on the wiring and interior and get back on the street. I'm really pleased with the smoked glass.

David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good!!!!
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Status Update Reply with quote

Well I know it's been a while since my last posting, but things have taken a bit of a twist. After the car being so-so close to being finished at the body shop, I pointed out a couple of places on the body that should have been corrected before the car was painted. So the guy doing the work said he would make the corrections. They were fixed, the chrome & bumpers removed and the candy blue was sanded with 800 grit... by Easter (April). That's where it's all stopped. I received a call last Wednesday from the man doing the work. He told me he had gotten behind on is rent, was afraid that the landlord was going to sell the place AND that the IRS was having some issues with him and I might want to come get my car. This just topped off all of the procrastination. So....Thursday morning I drove out and picked my car up. I'd rather have my unfinished car than the IRS putting a lock on the door where I could not retrieve it. There is certainly a lot of work that can be done (checking out the motor, total re-wire, interior..etc). So if anyone has any suggestions for someone that knows how to shoot candy colors, please let me know. Sad
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since there were updates here, so here is mine. After getting sidelined yet again for some time, my '55 has been getting some attention this last spring with a total re-wiring project by my very capable friend Mike Cook, then after taking the summer off (just cause it's to dang hot to work on cars then) I am now back to working on getting my '55 converted into a bracket racer. The engine that I rebuilt over 20 years ago and that has been sitting in it for over 20 years (time flies) hasn't really run more than a couple of hours in all that time. It was last fired about 3 years ago, and at some point after that water seeped into the #3 cylinder without my knowledge and made a mess of the cylinder wall (blown head gasket or cracked head - not sure which). So knowing ahead of this that this motor/head combo wasn't going to be the bullet I wanted for racing, it simply moved up the process of having a stronger bullet (a 383 stroker fully forged, 12:1 compression with 500+ HP) put together and installed which has been the focus this fall. Soon that bullet will be ready so over the Thanksgiving break I pulled the old wounded 350 cu in bullet out and since it has all forged rods, pistons and crank along with being a 4 bolt main I will get that #3 cylinder sleeved and sit it aside to be installed in my son's '55 driver. I removed the CPP 500 power steering box (who wants a power steering pump dragging a race motor down?!) and with the help of Ken Burton he sourced a manual steering box and tri five steering guru Steve Pratt for guidance on putting it all back together (this club has some serious resources!) I am closer to my goal. Knowing that things come up and goals get delayed, I would love to think I will have this thing close to finished by the summer of '14, but I expect a more realistic goal of MAYBE this time next year. Here's a photo of the wounded bullet, along with a shot of the engine compartment - without an engine for the first time in many moons!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I don't have enough stuff to work on in the limited spare time I have .. my son's '55 needs some TLC so he brings it to me and drops it off while he is off to the west coast for a couple of months doing what he does, fortunately I have gearhead neighbors and one being DACC member Mike Cook who is a artist when it comes to wiring so for the next few weeks it will be a rewire job on Chris' '55, along with lots of other little 'to do's', new leaf springs were put on last weekend, this weekend the beginning of the wiring project got underway which will take a couple of weeks, and it needed it badly ..! Fun stuff! This will make a nice driver when done.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '55 is getting a new motor, ATK in Grand Prairie put it together for me and the 383 small block was on the dyno this week with pretty good numbers - 525 HP at 5500 RPM, 525 Torque at 4500 RPM. I am hoping this will move my heavy shoebox down the track fairly quickly. Here is a shot of the motor on the dyno, along with some photos of the dash area which has been getting a lot of attention with all new wiring. Mike Cook did an outstanding job of building a panel that is under the dash for the add on accessories that will be on the car for racing and that is pictured also. MAYBE this time in a year I will have this car close to finished, there is no one slower than I am when it comes to this stuff. Rolling Eyes

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stabbed the new motor in the frame rails today.. good feeling!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on a new workshop for TriFive work, etal. The red steel is up, and the bracing now commences.
Tried to post a picture but can't determine how to paste it into this post.

2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there! Well again, it's been a while since my last posting. Since my last update, I've been able to find a shop in Balch Springs that finished the paint for me and did a great job. The car is now completely rewired, new carpet, has a couple of Mazda bucket seats (with 9" of travel making it easy for people to get into the back). I still need to get the back seat and door panels & package tray done. The headliner is in (by Morris Upholstery in Mesquite) and...I bit the bullet and dressed her out with Foose wheels with Nitto tires! 17" x 8" on the back & 17" x 7" on the front. They are the first new "shoes" that the car has since since the early 80's. It actually was awarded 1st in the "Under Construction" class at a local BBQ Tavern car show last month (before the wheels!)
Next, 2" drop spindles on the front. As soon as I figure out how to get a new avatar added, I'll be changing my profile photo to something more current. So, if I get this added correctly, here she is.
I apologize for the large photo size. I don't know how to make them smaller...help?

2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention a small delay in the progress of the car due to a bout of Prostate Cancer. Fortunately it was contained within the prostate which I had removed July 9th. At this time, all is good with no follow-up procedures required and I'm well enough to get on the roof of the house to do repairs & almost fall out of our tree that was struck by lightning, starting to cut out dead limbs. I think my best therapy for recuperating was getting back to my "garage-aerobics", doing set-ups while working on the 55'! Very Happy
Guys, get that PSA checked!
God is good!
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a while since my last post on the car. Since then, it was just shown as the feature car for the July newsletter (Thank you guys very much). We did get the 2" lowering springs on the front (much better). We just picked the car up a couple of weeks ago from getting the seats & door panels done. We are very pleased with the work done by Mike at Mr. C's in Garland. He did a great job incorporating the flip-down console into the back of the rear seat.
Next, I think, 308 gears for the rear end.
Now if the weather would just get under 110 degrees!
See yall out there.
[img]

[/img]
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys! Well, again, it's been a while since my last post. Since I last added some pics on here, I have improved the gas lines and installed a new radiator. In addition, my son and I finally finished our center console. Now.....the trunk area.
See ya'll out there!

David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding!!
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: