NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to measure a steering column

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two5S
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: How to measure a steering column Reply with quote

What is the proper way to measure a steering column, to the end of the column or to the end of the steering shaft? In looking for a column on line and referencing a 55 the response comes back with a 30" column. The column I got with my 55 measures 33" to the end of the column but I am not sure that its a true 55 part because the steering wheel is from a Corvair. What is the stock length and what length is most commonly used?
Thanks
John
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: column/shaft length Reply with quote

Many things could influence the answer:
1. tilt column?
2. rag joint between shaft and steering box or stock 1 piece shaft/box?
3. length of the column includes the shift/turn signal bells?
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: My 55 Reply with quote

Mine is 28" long including the bells but I cut mine off at the firewell because of the CPP 500 box and rag joint.
The shaft is about 3" longer than the column.
Yours can be just about any length you need because of the rack/pinion steering and depends on your seating position, too.
Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: