NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control arm bushings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Control arm bushings Reply with quote

I replaced my old looesy, goosey rubber control arm bushings with the high zoot poly-graphite bushings about 20k miles ago. I liked the feel of the poly bushings improved control. Now the alignment shop tells me that those new bushings are shot, need to be replaced with the stock rubber bushings because they will last longer. Can anyone offer an opinion about the rubber or poly-graphite bushings, which are best for control, durability?
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original rubber bushings in my first tri-5 lasted over 100,000 miles. They started squeeking at about 120,000 and I replaced them at about 150,000. Surprised
I hear that the poly gives you a firmer ride but I can see that they would wear out a lot sooner. They are designed to pivot in the sleeves instead of flexing like the rubber bushings. The rubber is bonded to the sleeves so it won't wear out, it deteriorates.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not sound right. I would get a second opinion.
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has always been with the rubber bushings. They do tend to deteriorate with many passing years even if not driven. I just rebuilt my 56 sedan delivery front end in February after its last rebuild in the 1970's and used the rubber style. I've found the weak link in my TriFives to be the lower ball joints which can wear surprising fast if driven on rough roads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: