NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WRENCHES Project - Wednesday Mar 16th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> WRENCHES - (Wacky Retirees Enjoying Neat Chevys, Hot rods, Engines & Stuff)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: WRENCHES Project - Wednesday Mar 16th Reply with quote

The next WRENCHES Project is Wednesday March 16th beginning at 9AM and this will be a total front rebuild on Bill Preston's '56 Nomad. The plan is to replace all the upper/lower control arm bushings, upper/lower ball joints, brake calipers and motor mounts. Bill lives in Flower Mound and for specific address info, contact Bill Preston or Don Andre at WRENCHES@DallasClassicChevy.com or you can call Bill at (405) 412-0502. This will be a great opportunity to lend your knowledge and skills or learn what it takes to do all of this and plan for a full day! Plan to join the WRENCHES effort Wed 3/16 at 9AM!
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Wed., March 16 Tom Walker, Tom Entrekin, Marv Cowden, Don Andre and James Sparrow met at Bill Preston's garage in Flower Mound for a DACC WRENCHES session. The objective of this WRENCHES session was to replace lower and upper control arm bushings, rebuild the front wheel disc braking system and replace the motor mounts in Bill's 1956 Nomad.

Bill borrowed an extra set of upper and lower control arms and Don Andre had already pressed the bushings into the control arms before the group started to work on Wednesday morning. Of course, Bill had painted them too. The objective was to enable them to do the replacement in one day. Bill gave his old arms back to Don Andre and Larry Myers of Oklahoma City, who had lent them to him.

Marv Cowden furnished the pickle fork, because Bill can't find his pickle forks. He loaned them to someone and can't remember who... Do you have Bill Preston's pickle forks??? If you don't know what a pickle fork is, then you didn't borrow them.

Having six guys let them put three guys on each front wheel. One in the wheel well, one laying in front of the car and the third working over the fender. One team encountered a problem with a leak they couldn't stop in the left caliper. So Bill ran out and bought a new hose at NAPA and hopes that's going to keep that caliper from leaking. So far, so good.

They spent two hours trying to replace the motor mounts (see Dec 2010 newsletter) with the new fail-safe style motor mounts, but they JUST WON'T FIT!!! So the new plan is to just replace the original style motor mounts every 10,000 miles or so... Because we know they'll fail!!!

They finished about 7 pm and went to dinner. It took Bill all day Thursday to clean up and put away all the tools!!!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage

Last edited by David Graves on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me spout in on this event. I showed up with some exprience on stocker TriFive rebuilds... but let me say there are others, in the club, that kicked in on this event that have experinece on all the updates for the TriFive update modifications. I'm older and had a learing experience at this work session... So don't hold back... There is a lot to be learned at these functions to help you fix your TriFive.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Wrenches Reply with quote

I wish I would have been town just to go and get educated more on front ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> WRENCHES - (Wacky Retirees Enjoying Neat Chevys, Hot rods, Engines & Stuff) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: