NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aluminum Radiator Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBunch
150 series

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Aluminum Radiator Leak Reply with quote

The new radiator I got from Danchuk has a "factory" hole on the back left side, lower tank, of which they supplied a threaded plug to close it off. It's not for the transmission line. I installed the plug but when the radiator gets hot it starts to leak at the plug. I was told to and tried weatherstrip sealant but it still leaks. Does anyone have an idea of what to coat the threads with to stop it from leaking?

Dan
972 270-0461
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the hole is a 1/4 pipe thread. Probably for a radiator temp sensor. Is the plug steel or brass/copper. If it's steel, see if you can find a brass or copper plug at Home Depot or Ace hardware. A softer metal will seal better. I would think any high temp silicon sealer would work.
DBunch
150 series

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Radiator going back to Danchuk. Still leaked no matter what plug or sealant I used. Thanks to those who responded with ideas.
Lets hope the replacement from Danchuk, when I get it, works out better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: