NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brass Fuel Tank Float

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Brass Fuel Tank Float Reply with quote

My '57's fuel level was acting erratically, for a long time. I blamed it on corrosion at the sending unit connection. Well..it turned out the brass float was cracked in 2 places. This replacement fuel tank sending unit was new some years back. It likely cracked many years back too as this car spent most of it's life with a drained tank as it was being drag raced. After all race outings the tank was always drained then refilled the next race day date. I'll attempt a solder repair and try it again. So if your gas gauge is acting up or shows Ë when it should not then suspect the float after the electrics are verified Okay.
orange56
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several floats the new ones are mostly junk. I have kept the old ones out of several cars. Free you just have to pick it up are I can bring to hot August nigths.
Kenneth
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ford float part # COAZ-9202-B is an exact replacement and is better quality than the repop floats from most vendors. I think it's still available from ford dealers or any Mustang replacement parts place. Most repop floats are way too thin and tend to crack when they are put on the arm.
When soldering a float, you need to warm it up and then cool it in water as you solder, to cause the air in the float to contract. Otherwise, when you heat it from soldering, the air expands and blows the solder away from the crack.
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let me edit my first post. The float in discussion is cracked in 5 locations. I'll not try a solder repair it. Makes me wonder about the float in my sedan delivery. It too is a re-pop and drained after every outing and again refilled on it's next drive date.
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took Don's advice. Found the part number on a ford dealership site and ordered it. Received today. In the meantime its too hot to install it. Thanks Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: