NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwback Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday takes us to the spring of 1986 and the club celebrated it's 10th Birthday with a birthday cake!, seen here with club officers Earnest Lander, Danny Fisher, David Graves and Dale Irvin.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday goes back to the first ever display of '55-'57 Chevys by the Dallas Area Classic Chevy club at the 1977 Dallas Autorama where we had 8 Tri Five Chevys on display as a club, here in this photo is Darrell McKenzie's '55 Bel Air Hardtop and Ellen Wallace's '57 Bel Air Hardtop at the front of the display at Market Hall.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's DACC Throwback Thursday has a photo from the Show-N-Shine judging at the 1979 Classic Chevy Regional Convention hosted by DACC at the then Registry Hotel at Mockingbird and Stemmons Frwy and this photo is of club member and future club President Richard Taylor's '55 that was once a Nomad but was cut down to a 'El Camino' style car/truck, not sure what you would call it but it was different!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this week's Throwback we will continue the Tri Five El Camino theme with this photo of former club member Tom Renfrow's ' former Nomad cut down to a El Camino style custom, this photo taken at Fair Park in about 1978, and would be the first and only club member to land on a Hot Rod Magazine cover as it appeared in the September '78 issue ...

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday this week features a lineup of DACC members who took awards at the 1986 Dallas Autorama at Market Hall, from left to right we start with Jacky Sanders, Harry Crossley, his wife Linda and daughter Kris, behind him Joe Williamson, unidentified in white shirt, Gil Thomas holding up the award, Bennie Kirtley and his wife, RD & Ellen Wallace, unidentified in the #88 jersey and then Mike and JoAnn Russell

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week we 'Throwback' to 1980 and DACC is at the South Central Street Machine Mini Nationals in Waco, this event was a regular for the club during this time period held each Memorial Day weekend at Ft Fisher Park along the banks of the Brazos. The weekend had the normal car show aspect but also a lot of games and other activities. Here in this shot, Ray Trevathan and his wife Margaret participate in the Panty Dash. I don't recall exactly what the objective was but I just recall it involved the cars and panties!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback has a group of Classic Chevys from DACC that were used in a photo shoot for a local high school annual. I don't recall which school, and I can't remember the exact year but I suspect this in the early 80's and the school used Keller's Drive In as a backdrop with our cars as props. Pictured are my '55, Ray Trevathan's red '57 and David Taylor's white '57 all surrounded with VIP's from the school dressed in 50's style clothing. Today, Keller's is still there exactly like it is pictured here, but I don't think the Arby's or the KFC look like they do in this picture or if they are even still there. Sometimes things are better left alone and Keller's seem to understand that. On July 11th the National Collector Car Appreciation Day will be celebrated by DACC at Keller's so it will be fun to go back again to this timeless classic drive in.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday this week has us at a DACC Tri Five Show at Doran Chevrolet in 1986. DACC and Doran Chevrolet paired up for several '55-'57 Chevy shows. Today the dealership that was located then at LBJ Freeway and the Dallas North Tollway is gone, and only remnants of the facility are still there and those are likely to soon disappear with it being such a prime real estate location.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... this week's Throwback Thursday has us at the 1982 Dallas Autorama where the DACC has the normal display of '55-'57 Chevys as we have had each year since 1977, and here Sam Bono is working the crowd explaining the benefits and fun that comes with being a member of the DACC, Sam is one of the 'earliest' members of DACC, having joined in 1977 and remains a active member today! ...

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday this week will highlight one of many cover shots our member's got in the Classic Chevy World magazine. Beginning in the 70's, the '55-'57 Chevy hobby really took off with the creation of the 'national' Classic Chevy Club. It offered access to tech help, parts, monthly magazine, conventions and structure for 'local clubs' all across the country which is what drove the creation of DACC. Over time, the original purpose of the 'Classic Chevy Club' was lost, and growth and profit took over, resulting in the sale of the assets to Eckler's. That company is one of the largest aftermarket parts suppliers for older cars, and they added the prized '55-'57 Chevy market with their acquisition of 'Classic Chevy'. One of the big benefits before the Eckler take over was a monthly magazine devoted 100% to '55-'57 Chevys and DACC was fortunate to have several members on the cover. Here in this week's Throwback, we are looking at the July 1991 issue that has BJ Bucher's '57 as the cover car. Inside this issue was a complete feature of the DACC with member's Tri Five Chevys, storylines and all. BJ built this beautiful '57 himself and sold it just a few years ago, but it was shown and driven all over Texas and he and his wife Minnie got their enjoyment out of this fantastic '57.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's do another DACC member cover from the old Classic Chevy World magazine for this week's Throwback Thursday, this time it's Lance Denton's '56 straight axel Sedan Delivery, feature as the cover car in July 1988, Lance would own several '55-'57 Chevys while a member of the club and they were always beautiful examples ..

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder where some of these past tricked out TriFives show cars are today. Surely they are out there in someone's' care.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback Thursday will stay with the 'cover car' theme and here we have from April of 1977 the Classic Chevy World cover that has Ray Trevathan's beautifully restored '57 Nomad on the cover. Ray was a long time member of DACC, and had the reputation as one of the top restorers of Tri Five Chevys in the country, especially '57's! His cars were always top award winners and he did the work himself and knew these cars inside and out. His shop in Garland 'Ray's Automotive' was a fixture in that part of town and you could always count on seeing a Tri Five Chevy in his shop getting work done to it whether it was his own car or someone else. Ray in his earlier years was an accomplished drag racer, having in 1960 finished #5 in the 'Top 10 in Drag Racing Points' according to the NHRA. Ray passed away in 2000 and his wife Margaret just passed away earlier this month, both are missed!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Thursday so that must mean it's time to Throwback to the past in DACC history..

This week we are at the 1985 Classic Chevy National Convention hosted by our club on July 3-7 at the Lincoln Hotel (now called who knows what but is located across from the Galleria at LBJ Freeway and the North Dallas Tollway). Our club did an outstanding job playing host to almost 300 '55-'57 Chevys that came to this event from all over the country (Long Distance winner was a '55 driven from Alaska!). The Show N Shine competition was a big part of the long holiday weekend's activities and in this 'winner's photo' is former club member Bennie Kirtley, his wife Sara and pal Merle Vondrasek with Bennie's '57 that won 1st Place and a Bronze Award in the '57 Trailered Custom Class. Now Bennie trailered his '57 to the event because he not only entered the Show judging competition but also raced it at the '55-'57 drags we held as part of the weekend's activities. Bennie didn't want those open headers attracting attention from Dallas finest on the street. Smile

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ‘Throwback Thursday’ this week we are at the 1979 South Central Regional Classic Chevy Convention hosted by the DACC, taking place at the then Registry Hotel at Stemmons and Mockingbird (today called The Park Inn by Radisson). For the 50’s Sock Hop at the convention we booked Johnny Dee and the Rocket 88’s and they played a show that was absolutely fantastic! The band was in its early days and we were lucky to have booked them. Here in this photo is the band ‘getting after it’ with some great rock n roll music at the Sock Hop Saturday night of the event!

For 33 years the band was one of the top oldies acts in the country. Unfortunately we lost the front man of the band (Johnny Dee) Keith Landers on October 17th 2011 at age 60 when he suffered a stroke after a weekly dialysis treatment in Austin. The successful band has seem to not recovered from that today and appears to not be active any longer. One of their highlights was the ‘Don’t Mess With Texas’ video they did in 1986, see it by clicking the link below.

http://youtu.be/5RUWCv8tSjg

Another tidbit about this event, current member Carl Mitcham brought his ’57 Chevy to the show and took 1st Place in the Trailered Class, Best Paint of Show, Best Interior of Show and People’s Choice of the Show!
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: