NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwback Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Thursday so it's Throwback time again, and this week it's back to 1991 and the DACC hosted 17th Annual International Convention for the Classic Chevy Club that took place at the DFW Hyatt Hotel for a week long event! There were many highlights for the week, but one of the big one's was the giving away of this beautiful '55 Convertible at the Awards Banquet, this '55 was displayed in the hotel lobby all week leading up to the Banquet, and after a year long promotion where folks from all over the world purchased raffle tickets for the chance to take the title to this beauty, the winning ticket was drawn by Terry Williamson of the Chevrolet Motor Division (one of the convention's sponsors) and the winning ticket belong to David Cruikshank of Crestview, Florida. Now the question is - where is this '55 today? Oh, and also at the banquet the next raffle car for 1992 was uncovered as it sat in the corner of the banquet room - a Sierra Gold two four barrel '57 Convertible!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 38th Annual 'Chevy Classics' International Convention taking place this coming weekend in Oklahoma, for Throwback Thursday this week we will continue to reflect back on the 1991 DACC hosted 17th Annual Classic Chevy International Convention (as it was named back then when just the Classic '55-'57 Chevys were featured), the beautiful '55 Chevy giveaway car was featured in various press announcements including this front page feature in a local Irving paper.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday this week we are in Richardson in the 80's sometime at the corner of Arapaho and Coit where club member Gil Thomas would offer his gas station for tech meetings, club members would bring their Tri Five Chevys to the station and perform various maintenance duties on their cars along with the help of other club members. Needless to say, it made for quite a site to see all the '55-'57 Chevys at the station!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, that looks like your '55 in the middle. Do you remember who was to the left and right of you? I usually don't like a white car but white looks good on that '57 convertible.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earnest Lander '57 Conv, my '55, Ray Salinas '56 ...
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday this week goes back to the beginning, the roots of DACC. It was the effort of a group in Florida in 1974 that launched a national organization for the growing '55-'57 Chevy hobbyist called simply the 'Classic Chevy Club'. The purpose was to bring together these enthusiasts that were hard core Tri Five Chevy folks, primarily to be a source of parts that were getting harder to come by. The Chevy dealerships were getting picked over and the repro markets were in it's infancy. The club was also there to help bring folks together for conventions where the cars could be shared with car judging and establish standards for excellence in the hobby. How does this relate to DACC? As the 'Classic Chevy Club' grew, local chapters of the Classic Chevy Club sprung up and in North Texas DACC became one of many that were organized all over the country in the 70's. If it wasn't for the Classic Chevy Club that started in 1974, there may not have been a DACC. Here is the cover of that first issue of the Classic Chevy Club magazine from December 1974 and a link to the complete issue that can be viewed.

CLICK this link below to see the complete first issue

http://www.dallasclassicchevy.com/images/TT/Classic%20Chevy%20V1N1.pdf
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Briney
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha-Ha! I read the first issue... Back in the classified section was listed a 1956 convertible for $1,800 firm... I wish I could get it for that now...

Patrick
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback is in 1979 at the Classic Chevy Club's South Central Regional Convention host by DACC at the then 'Registry Hotel' in Dallas (still there located at Mockingbird and Stemmons with a different name), and here Gene Jones is directing a '57 to their parking spot for the Show N Shine judging competition and being assisted by RD Wallace. Gene was the club's second President and RD was very active in those early years of DACC and is a lifetime member of DACC in recognition of his and wife Ellen's contributions to the club. Gene has moved on to other interests but was spotted a couple of years ago at the Autorama, RD sold his cars and continues to live with Ellen in Dallas enjoying retirement.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this week, here is Carl Mitcham and his '57 Chevy accepting his Gold Award and First Place in the always tough class of Trailered Restored, this at the 1985 Classic Chevy National Convention hosted by DACC in Dallas. Then, Carl was living in Amarillo and a member of the Top Of Texas Classic Chevy Club in Amarillo and as today, he was known for outstanding efforts in restoring Tri Five Chevys, especially the 1957 model!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week we reflect back to 1989 and the Show N Drags that DACC hosted for several years, the '89 event was special in that the Chevrolet Motor Division of General Motors stepped up as a sponsor of the event, and that relationship would continue to 1991 when DACC hosted the International Convention for Classic Chevy and Chevrolet was a major sponsor of that event!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback Thursday this week we are in the year 1978 and the DACC has picked up our first ever club sponsor, Late Chevrolet in Richardson located at the corner of Central Expressway and Arapaho (yes the same location as Reliable Chevrolet!), and just as we do today, we kept a '55-'57 Chevy on the showroom floor to draw attention to the heritage that our Chevys represent and here is Ray Trevathan's '57 Nomad and our club banner hanging proudly in the same showroom that we display in today!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's Throwback is at the '79 Classic Chevy South Central Regional Convention DACC hosted, and just before the Show N Shine awards were dished out here is how they looked... some were awarded to current members, anyone still have theirs?

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwback this week stays in the year 1979, back then each September the '55-'57 Chevy clubs in Ok City and Dallas/Ft Worth and any other tri five that wanted to come would converge on Ardmore, Okla for the Ardmore Classic Chevy Run at the Holiday Inn, which would welcome the Chevys that would fill the parking lot for a weekend of games and car show.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's continue with a 'sign theme' for Throwback Thursday, and this week we have a photo of a 'newer' Holiday Inn sign, this one at Lone Star IV in San Antonio where all the Tri Five Chevys gathered for that year's state convention and the host hotel was a Holiday Inn.

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign theme continues on this Throwback Thursday, this time it's 1987 at the newly opened Texas Motorplex in Ennis where the DACC hosted 'Show-N-Drags' event was held, and to help draw attention to the event the scrolling Motorplex billboard flashed the fact that the Tri Five Chevys were coming!

'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: