NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear Swap

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Cars & Parts For Sale/Wanted - MOVED TO NEWSLETTER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Gear Swap Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation of who I can check with on acquiring a "pumpkin" with 3.08 gears for the existing rear-end in my '55 car? As far as I know, it is the original rear-end and used to have 3 on the tree. I currently have 3.55's and would prefer to keep the pumpkin with gears assembled in the event I'm not pleased with the 3.08's. I'm running a 350 with a Muncie 4-speed and would like to get the RPM's down for highway driving. Right now it's turning about 2800 RPM to do 60 MPH.
I haven't had a chance to crawl under the car to verify the stampings on the rear-end.
Thanks in advance.
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149846

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, Thanks for the connection you provided. I have acquired the differential with the 308's I was wanting from the guy you referenced and have had them serviced and refurbished and they are ready to be installed. Hopefully, this will be my "day after Thanksgiving" project this Friday. Very Happy
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!! Glad I was able to help

1957 Chevy BelAir
1949 Chevy Truck

Thought for the day-

Horsepower: "If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the 308's in a couple if weeks ago and REALLY like the outcome.
It looks like I'm now doing about 2500 RPM at 65 MPH and my speedometer is now within 3-4 MPH of actual speed. Very Happy
Now it won't hurt so bad to get on the highway.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 3:08's in my Vette, makes it much more enjoyable to drive on trips and the Tremec overdrive gets that RPM to about 2000 at 65 MPH. Very Happy
'56 Corvette
'67 Camaro RS
'69 Blown 427 nostalgia front engine dragster
'17 Indian Chief Vintage
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Cars & Parts For Sale/Wanted - MOVED TO NEWSLETTER All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: