NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ram Jet 350 Overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Ram Jet 350 Overheating Reply with quote

My ‘55 a Billet Spec TruTrac Serpentine with a short water pump. The RamJet came with a long pump. I don’t think that is the problem and the short pump does reverse flow as the long pump did. I have large puller fans attached to the radiator. Engine heats quickly over 200 and higher. Believe thermostat is good. Also. Idle is higher, around 900 rpm. Read about a by-pass solution? Know some other members have RamJets too. Solutions?
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need a bypass hose. I would change the thermostat just to be sure.
I had problems with air in the coolent system. Apparently the Ramjet manifold has a tendency to trap air. Does your temp fluctuate on the gauge, and have you checked it with a infered temp gun?
To get the air out of mine, I took the lower seal off of a radiator cap, so the system would not pressurize and connected a long tube to the overflow. Ran the tube way above the radiator and back down to a catch can. Then ran the engine until bubbles quit coming out of the overflow. The tube keeps from loosing too much coolent since a crossflow has to be full to the top, unlike a downflow radiator.

How much time on the engine? The high idle is probably normal until a certain amount of time is on the engine/computer.
Briney
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an issue with my temp gauge swinging/spiking really hot and then it would appear to go back down to normal. The gauge was fine and the temp was really not hot. Found moving the sender to the other head fixed the issue. I also have a bypass in like Don said.

Patrick
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: RamJet350 Bypass hose Reply with quote

Tell me where to install the bypass
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: RAMJET 350 OVERHEATING Reply with quote

Please send a pic of the bypass
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also use the front manifold port.

[/img]
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: RamJet 350 Overheating Reply with quote

Great pic! Where the bypass attaches to the brass fitting on the manifold, there’s nothing after that, right! The bypass hose goes from the top of the water pump up to the intake manifold and that’s it? I’ll try that. I’ll buy some fittings and braided line on Monday. Many thanks, Ed
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: RamJet Reply with quote

Do you have a temp sensor attached to the intake manifold fitting?
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an L fitting in the manifold that I drilled and taped for the temp sensor.
The port in the water pump is suction, so it circulates the coolent in the block all the time, even when the thermostat is closed.
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Ram Jet Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice and the great pic. Will try the fixes. Thanks again, Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: