NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rust/paint removal for entire car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemo
210 Series

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Rust/paint removal for entire car Reply with quote

I've called MetalRehab ($$$) in Arlington, another place in Mansfield (?) that does plastic beadblasting, and one or two others that sandblasted cars but wanted to hear if there were any other places within a reasonable distance to consider?

Jeff
Jemo
210 Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I've found, those are the 3 best options:

1. MetalRehab ($$$$$)
2. The guy in Mansfield that uses plastic beadblasting - $1200 for every surface of car, top to bottom, inside-out
3. Sandblaster man in Gainesville. Far, but half the price ( "about $600") for everything but bottom of car.

I don't have the contact info with me but if you're interested, contact me and I'll dig it up.

Jeff
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option is Doug's Auto Craft in Irving 214 502-4230, no experience but he does plastic media, remember sand media can create excessive heat and warp panels if the person isn't careful .. another option is contact Stoked Out Specialties and see who they recommend ...
MAtildaN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Soda Blasting Reply with quote

You may want to check out Soda Blasting. Though no less expensive than "bead blasting", it is mach safer for the metal, the environment, and you. Some Soda Blasters are also mobile and can come to you. Further, if you just want to do a partial restoration, soda blasting will not harm glass, chrome, or plastic parts. This means that you do not have to completely disassemble the car to get the paint stripped.

Sand blasting contians 70% or more silica for cutting power and is harmful to both you and the environment. When sand blasting, you must take precautions during and after blasting to keep from inhaling "free silica" left behind from blasting. Free silica will also be left on the car when it is returned to you. Sand blasting also generates heat in the panel and can easily pit and warp warp sheetmetal. You MUST remove all glass, chrome, and plastic from the car when sand or bead blasting, as both will completely destroy these items.

Soda and other medias are safe for you and the environment, do not generate lots of heat, are water soluable, and in the right hands will not warp panels or damage panels in any way. Soda Blasting is also safe on fiberglass (Corvettes!!). Soda is also a natural rust inhibitor. Once a panel is stripped, so long as you do not touch it with oily hands and keep the panel under cover, it will take forever before developing slight surface rust (2-3 years in some cases). You can find people that do soda blasting in your area on the web by typing in the area you are in (ie: Arlington)followed by "soda blasting" in most common search engines. Some listings are fixed shop locations and you must take your car or parts to them, and some are mobile and will come to you which can save you lots of money on towing if your car is not drivable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: