NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 cyl 3 spd to 8 cyl 4 spd conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ76092

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: 6 cyl 3 spd to 8 cyl 4 spd conversion Reply with quote

I want to change out my 6 cyl 3 speed for a V8 with 4 speed tranny. Will my 6 cyl bell housing work on the V8, if so what tranny will mount up. I was told only early 4 speeds with the small diameter front bearing retainer will fit the 6 cyl. bell housing. Can anyone confirm this? Will I need to get a V8 bell housing? Thanks Don
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would get a V-8 bell housing. In fact, I have one you can have (out of my '57) all you have to do is come and get it. I also have a Lakewood housing for sale. As far as I know most, if not all, 4 speeds will bolt up to the V-8 bell housing. I assume you are planning to keep the original motor mounts. If so, you will have to get the brackets that bolt up to the front of the V-8 engine and the rest of the mounts. As far as I know, the rear mounts (bell housing) are in the same place, V-8 or 6. I would also suggest keeping the radiator in the 6 cylinder position. This works fine for a V-8 and, in fact, gives much more room in the engine compartment and allows a greater selection of fans to be used. My car is a V-8 and I have the radiator in the 6 cylinder position. Also be sure to get the V-8 flywheel and clutch and throw out bearing. Also don't forget the clutch release fork (comes with my bell housing). Larry Rollow 972-960-1408
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: