NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will HEI fit in my 56?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ76092

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Will HEI fit in my 56? Reply with quote

Will an HEI distributor fit my small block without firewall modifications? Is there enough clearance? If so can anyone tell me How to hook it up wiring wise? what modifications are needed to the wire harness? Thanks
Don
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It apparently varies from car to car. Some have used them with the stock mounts but it is a real tight fit. Please don't bash the firewall Sad . There are much better alternatives. The MSD ready-to-run distributors are the same size as stock as well as several electronic modules for your original distributor. Pertronix and Crane make a module that fits inside your distributor and you can use a stronger coil with them as well. I have been useing a Pertronix for years in my "almost daily driver Corvair" and haven't opened the distributor since I installed it. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PNX%2D91181&N=700+115&autoview=sku
belairvette
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: HEI on A'56 CLEARANCE Reply with quote

Good advice! Just be sure your mounts are in good shape. Rev the engine after installation to be sure you have clearance. A friend of mine snapped his distributor off, bumping into the firewall. It was a nice streak of rubber though.
Petronix components are a good fix with your stock distributor and you know it clears already...
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard positive things about these HEI.. small cap and they should fit ... http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com./
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: