NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Block 57 Install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLDSCHOOL57

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Big Block 57 Install Reply with quote

I am putting in a early model 454 with muncie 4spd in my 57 2 dr Sedan Bel-Air. It had a small block w/4spd. If anyone has installed a big block in their shoe box and care to share any tips on anything that I may run into I would appreciate your suggestions. I am running a stock steering box. What type headers, motor mounts etc..... I saw a install kit in ecklers but from looking at most kits it looks like most of the engine mounts can be easily made for much less $$, any suggestions on what works best will be greatly appreciated.
ford

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im, having the same problem speedway motorsports has a kit is it the way to go?????? thanks phil
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major problem with a big block conversion is the firewall clearance with the engine/transmission in the original location. Moving the big block forward is a must unless the firewall is reshaped at the valve covers and distributor. Today I regret beating back my firewall back when the conversion was performed in 1969. Moving the engine forward means a longer driveshaft is required along with the issue of the exhaust headers and the BB oil pan clearing the steering drag link. Also, there's some concern the long water pump would need to be traded for the old/early short varient. So far to my knowledge the Eckler BB engine forward conversion headers and oil pan are the only headers/pan to fit the engine forward arrangement. The part I don't like about the Ekler's conversion kit (I bought one) is the engine/transmission mount arrangement. It does not appear to be robust enough for a drag application. The Speedway front cradle mount is quite good and robust but it prevents the use of a mechanical fuel pump at the front of the engine block and its frame mounts would need modification by welding to accomodate the engine forward arrangement. I have not used the the weld to frame engine mounts that mount to the engine block side ala stock and weld or bolt to the tri-five frame near the upper a-frames. I have seen some drag tri-fives with this arrangement as it is really the best point to support the engine if a rear motor plate is not used. But rear motor plate and headers then start the interference issue again. In finishing up, since the request indicated the 4 speed transmission (which is only dependable up to 450 horsepower) is to be used the complete Eckler's kit would be the overall best fit and cleanest installation. The headers in the kit I bought from Ecklers are made by Headman and the oil pan is Moroso. I thought the price was reasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: