NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starting problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: starting problem Reply with quote

I have a 55 chevy. It all stated when it rained for 4 weekends and could not drive. I went to a car show, started fine, went to go home it would not, got a jump. It then would not start when hot, replaced starter. First test would not start got a jump. When I turn the key everything comes on and try to start the starter does not click but gets power. I had the battery tested and it was good 12.56 1031cca. Sometimes if I do the key a few times it will start. I thought it was the switch but the starter is getting power. I think it is the battery but it tested good. What gives?
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my limited knowledge I would check to see if your alt or gen is charging. It should throw 13.5 volts. Also check for a battery drain when turned off. Mine draws a amp and a half. I have to unhook the negative terminal to keep from draining my battery. Some day I will take the time to find out where.

How are your battery cables, ground cable? Bad cables, fittings or undersized cables will have too much voltage drop causing hard starting.

Also, last but not least it still could be the battery. I have had batteries that tested good and still not be good, if that makes sense. One time my battery kept testing good at Auto Zone but would be dead at the end of the day. To get my warranty I pored out the acid so it would not test OK. Of course that was before I went green. New battery no more problems.

This will be a good start until Larry and Don the real experts get a chance to respond.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is good, I don't understand how getting a jump will start it???? Are you connecting the negative clamp to the engine when jump starting? The negative cable on the battery may have a bad connection on the engine or battery.
Hey, boxman, you beat me to it. I suspect the ground cable also. Wink
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: I will try the ground Reply with quote

I will try the ground. I have an optima battery in the trunk in a vented box with accell 1g cable but the ground I got at pepboys. The ground goes to the frame and the frame is grounded to the block. When I jump I have - to - on the other car. The thing is the starter never clicks it goes or it does not. It mostly does it hot but not today.
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it automatic? Does it have a neutral safety switch? The purple wire from the ignition switch goes through the neutral safety switch before it gets to the starter solenoid, to energize the starter, on an automatic.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

It is an auto. I dont theink the car had one originaly I could start it in gear. I installed a B&M shifter that has one. I checked that it has power before and after. I keep thinking that is it but does not explain why it will jump. I was fine untill a month ago. Everything is less than a year old.
55jlc
210 Series

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to start the car with a remote starter switch hooked directly to the starter. If it will start with the key on using the remote starter switch that would eliminate the battery/starter selonoid question. I once had a similar problem and the ignition switch was getting hot. It had a bad (loose) connection on the back of the ignition switch.
jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: alarm Reply with quote

I replaced the ground but also took out the 20 year old alarm. I think it was the alarm.
Thank you
Tom
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you got your problem fixed. Thanks for the update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: