NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOT CAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: HOT CAR Reply with quote

Went to Denison car show this weekend and have more information concerning my HOT car.

At 70mph 2800 rpm and about 15 minutes on the hi-way the temp gauge starts moving up. I stop, it cools and I take off again with same results.

Coming home Sunday started same thing and after a couple of stops wife noticed that when I slowed down the temp went down so the next time I drove down the service road at 30 mph for a couple of miles then back on 75 but a little slower 60-65.
The catch::: From McKinney to Dallas I ran 65 to 75 trying to keep from being run over & the temp never went up again!! DID IT 'FIX' IT'S SELF??

Two comments from others: 1) Change thermostat from 160 to 180 and 2) Air Lock in the system

I was going to install a hi-flow water pump but more negative comments from others who discount the use of a high flow pump.

Got a comment?
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be a number of reasons for the over heating but the thermostat would not be the culperet. It you had a lock it would over heat bad fast.

Tell us your cooling set up. What type of radiator, fan, shroud do you have? What was the temp at speed?

You have a very powerful engine it will make a lot of heat.

my 2 cents
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when my car fixes itself .. just wished it did it more often ..

air in the system is a possibliity, and make sure you are not running 80% antifreeze or higher, distilled water with a water wetter and 50% or less antifreeze is a good setup I have read ..
acardon
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check for a collasped lower radiator hose. At higher RPM there may be more suction and the hose may be collasping at times. You may need the spring wire in the hose to keep it from closeing up.
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: hot car Reply with quote

My daughter used to just turn up the radio real loud when she thought something was wrong with the car! It helps but doesn't solve anything.
..but there are somethings that work out with time! (very few)
Alan, aluminum radiator no I haven't made a shroud yet
David, you're repeating something I heard awhile back but had forgotten. Thank you for bringing that point back my memory just ain't what it used to be. With some of the things that have happened I very well could have a greater than 50-50 mix. One more easy solution, Distilled water, yes, trying to be correct.
This was not a problem going to Granbury just started this weekend although I have not been happy with the temp in awhile.
This will give me something to change this weekend.

Any comments on a hi output waterpump? Most have told me NO the water will flow too fast to cool in the radiator.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a nice set up. I am stumped as to why it should overheat at speed. Since we are just brain storming, what should be the gap distance between the radiator and the transmission cooler? I know if you put A/C on you have to leave a 1" gap or something like that. That is if I remember what Bill Preston told me correctly.

My dad's 57 over heated back in the day because we drove through a cloud of black flies and they stopped up the radiator, well actually the bug screen he had wired in front or the radiator. He had to shake all the bugs off to keep it from overheating.

The car but not the day.
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: hot Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody. I will use all of your comments and advise and report back after I have finished. Looks like I am going to have a busy weekend. Any one of the things that have been mentioned could be the culprit so I'll just do all of them!

Bill & Dianne made it to the KKOA this past weekend. I really enjoy the show and will post some wild customs as soon as possible. The guys can be very creative! One guy drove from Minnesota in his 55 olds which is made up of 6 different carparts and beautiful!! If they don't like it they change it, pure & simple!!
Larry Epperson
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: picture Reply with quote

Alan, Wouldn't you like to know where that '57 Chevy is today? or do you?
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents sold it in 1971 and lost track of it after that. It was a 4 door hard top like yours Larry. It was salmon color, a V-8 with a 4 barrel carb. I wish I had it today. I ask my parent to keep it for me before they sold it for $150, I was 14 at the time. But, they said, "What would you want with that old car?" I still have the plastic model of it I made with help from my cousin John in 1965.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: