NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Differential problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Rear Differential problems Reply with quote

I have tore into my 10 bolt rear that I have under my 57 finding major problems. The backlash was measured at .032". Both outside axle bearing are shot and wore groves in the axles making them toast.

Do any of you guys know where I can buy a set of axles locally? I know I can get them through Summit or Jegs but I would like to get a set tomorrow since I'll be running around town all day anyway.

Alan

David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan ..

I have two sets of 17 spline axles, original stuff ... I will admit I don't know much about rear ends (10 bolt/12 bolt) so I am not sure if they will work but if they are what you need, let me know .. they are in my way ! If you have to order axles, I got mine from Moser and they did a very nice job with them and I got them in a week or so ....

if none of this works, you might try Paul Peyton Chassis http://www.peytonperformance.com/cat--Axles--Axles.html

David
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the offer David but I'm afraid they will not fit. I am looking for:
Axle Splines: 28
Axle Length (in): 29.000 in.
Axle Type: C-Clip

I guess I will order them mail order. I looked up some stock axles at Auto Zone and they are about the same cost as what they have at Summit. I just want it done now but now my goal is to get finished before our first club activity.

Wish me luck.
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan: I have two axles I took out of my 8.5 ten bolt that are in good shape. I don't know it they will fit and I will have to go and count the splines. Let me know if you are interested.
LDRollow
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan: Upon further inspection, my axles will not work for your car. They are longer. Good luck.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan .. did you get some axles ? back on the road ?
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to my amazement I finally got the 10 bolt back together. I have new axles, bearings, seals and a posi unit. Now I will not be so embarrassed to light my tires (notice I wrote in plural not singular anymore) up at the drags. I only had to take the posi unit out 5 times to get all the measurements correct.

I hope to see you at the Autorama. I think I'll be there Sat Morning.

Alan

jaspermaggie
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: glad to see you up and running Reply with quote

Glad to see you got it going. I am putting a 96 ford explorer 8.8 rear in my 55. Did you set your pinion nose up 4*?

All I need is the pearches welded on and a drive shaft. I have done alot of work. I rebuilt the trans myself got a case, bushings and gaskets. The explorer rear is nice 3.73, 31 spline and disk. Changed the motor mounts and might have put a bigger cam in it.

Tom
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the Pinion alone. I was going to change the bearings but the ones in place looked ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: