NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil / fuel issues for older carburetor engines..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: oil / fuel issues for older carburetor engines.. Reply with quote

came across this discussion on another board about motor oils and fuels of today compared to the past.. I have seen this diesel oil recommendation many times.. this kinda explains it I suppose... something to consider..

Quote:
The key difference between modern passenger car oils and diesel oils is the additive package; modern cars with fuel injection and computer control of fuel mixture have far less blow-by contaminants than the carbureted cars of old, and the additive packages have been reduced as a result. The traditional ZDDP anti-wear additive in particular has been reduced to almost nothing, as it contaminates catalytic converters and oxygen sensors in its historical concentration. Diesels don't have cats or oxygen sensors, and their oil additive packages have much higher concentrations of the detergent/dispersant/anti-foaming and, particularly, the ZDDP anti-wear additive, which makes them more suitable for our old carbureted cars.

It's not like we're piling up 100,000 miles on our old Corvettes, but given the choice between conventional and diesel oils, the CI-4 diesel oils are better-suited to our engines.

this observation on fuel -

Quote:
Today's fuels don't have any different burn rate than they used to - the difference is that modern fuel-injected cars run at much leaner average mixtures (due to precise real-time computer control of A/F ratio), and it's harder to start the burn with a lean mixture than it is with a richer mixture. Our old carbureted cars have nowhere near that level of A/F ratio metering capability under dynamic conditions, and most are calibrated to always run on the rich side of ideal for decent driveability; our old cars are much less demanding of the ignition system than modern cars are. Most modern engines now have no distributor at all, have computer-controlled coils for each cylinder, and the coils are either mounted directly on the plugs or have VERY short plug wires to maximize spark energy for ignition of lean mixtures with no misfires (misfires are monitored by the OBD-II system, and will set a code and light the MIL light above a given level).
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This interesting, and has some merit. Upon reading and thinking about it I gave it a try.
Since I already have a diesel truck the oil was available to pour into my aircooled VW at the oil change of 2 times ago. I like the extra dispersant which keeps the motor interior clean.
Of course diesel motor oil should never be put into the crankcase of any car/motor with a catalyic convertor.
57 Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: diesel power Reply with quote

Thanks for that tidbit of information, that's very interesting, might have to give it a try.
Bill Preston
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also goes along with why my Fuel Injected 57 was running so badly. I was going in circles trying to find something wrong with the injector, plugs, wires, etc. etc.

While schmoozing, someone mentioned the additive that was put in the gasoline here in the 5 counties of DFW to cut down on pollution and that our old cars couldn't handle it. I didn't live here when they implemented it several years ago, so didn't even know about it. I'd never had any problem running regular unleaded in it in Oklahoma.

A few gallons of 114 octane gas made the old thing perk right up!!!!
Now I'm just running the highest octane available from the pump, but
if it starts again, I know where to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: