NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original 1957 283/270 Dual Quads; Drag Race Testing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Original 1957 283/270 Dual Quads; Drag Race Testing Reply with quote

As some may know I've been drag testing an original '57 283cid/270hp dual quad setup on my '57. The motor is a fresh 350 so the period correct items are not quite so correct including the T-400 transmission in place of the PowerSlide transmission. All the same it looks and runs like an old junior stocker from days past. Friday, 28 August, I took it out to the MotorPlex for its 2nd outing this summer. The first outing last spring gave me a flavor of what this old equipment would act like. In repeatable form it performed the same this past Friday night. Bottom line it gave a high 12 (12.Cool second best run at about 105mph. But I should say the characteristics of this set up make me think there's more ET to be had. I made 4 runs and depleted my high octane fuel supply so we'll try again soon, and for sure attend the next TMCCC event at the MotorPlex 13 September. Anybody know about tuning these carbs for drag racing?
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cool.

I hope you are keeping notes then write an article of you findings and exploits. This would be more interesting to me than the last 100 articles I have read in the hot rod rags. And, I could learn a few things in the process.

Have fun Tom.
wheezer
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 57boxman, keeping notes is part of the process on my part. But also shared observations of the runs by witnesses adds immensely to the solution. My collegue from work advised me of some the run's detail which helped me understand some of the quirks these carbs can offer. A number of the casual track observers were amazed at this setup and that it even ran let alone raced 4 full bore runs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: