NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annual Meeting - Cozymel's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick Roppolo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Annual Meeting - Cozymel's Reply with quote

Charlie and I where headed to the meeting last Saturday, looking forward to seeing everyone when I had car trouble in my 56 chevy. We noticed a shake in the rear end, and exited the highway just in time, as all 5 studs on the passenger side rear wheel sheered off dropping the car down on top of the rear wheel. Damage to the rear quarter panel will have the 56 at the painters shop for a while. I contacted Grundy Insurance and the adjuster and my paint and body guy (David Reed) have seen the car and now it's just a matter of waiting on the insurance check, so David can get started repairing the damage.
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is terrible!! I wonder what would cause the studs to shear off? Loose lug nuts? Very scary to say the least. I'm happy you are OK, however I'm sad we didn't get to see you guys. I looking forward to the Christmas party. I hope you guys can make it.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow .. as bad as it was with messing things up it sure could have been worse .. if you learn what cause it please share with us because we can all learn from it .. glad you guys didn't crash and get hurt!
57boxman
Bel Air

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick, David posted some wonderful photos of the event if that is any consultation.
Nick Roppolo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: BEWARE - Spacers will Loosen Lug Nuts. Reply with quote

Grundy Ins. sent the inspector out and cut a check for the damages with no hassle. The guy that is doing the work on the 56 is David Reed. Several of you know him, he races Charlies Yellow Austin, and a white 56 chevy for one of the Keller regulars Butch. He not only painted Butch's 56 but several other 55 and 56's that hang out at Kellers Drive In. He does good work and has wrenched on my 56, and several of Charlies cars.

The final verdict was the lug nuts got loose and the movement of the spacer sheared off the studs. After we put new studs in the axles and were able to move the car out of the garage we checked the lug nuts in the other rear wheel and all of them were loose also.

I learned the hard way that if you run spacers you need to check your lug nuts every other time you go out! I've ordered new Cragar's with a custom off set to eliminate the spacers. I'll post some pictures soon, I've had David make some changes and upgrades to the 56.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to here you are getting things fixed back up !!.. also good to hear about the service from Grundy's ... I also use Grundys (through Larry Rogers with Heritage Insurance) and it's nice to hear about their no hassle service should I ever have a need ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: