NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting VIN on Title
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Getting VIN on Title Reply with quote

After owning my 1955 2 door sedan only since 1975, I just noticed this week that the VIN listed on the title I was given does not match the VIN on the plate that on the drivers door jamb. All of the registration transactions used the title without any car inspection. It's my understanding that in that era, 1955, the number on the tilte was actually the engine block number. As a result of who knows how many engine changes over the life of the car, including the 350 I have in it now, the number on the title does not match the car VIN. I called the Tax office and was told of (6)! forms I'm supposed to need to fill out along with current registration, photo, proof of insurance. All of this so it will be recognized as an Assembly Kit due to the motor change. Does anyone know if there is a more streamline way of getting a title with the VIN that's on the body? or should I just let this sleeping dog lie?
Thank you in advance.
Jody Confused
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a title and the car has tags on it, I am not sure I would mess with it ..

I have stirred that pot some myself recently, with my '55 I got to looking for the title because the VIN tag was lost when it was dipped over 25 years ago and has not been driven or tagged since then, I have not been able to locate the title and I feared issues with not having the VIN tag, so I went to the TX DOT office with old registration forms including the receipt from Texas when I transferred the title in '76, all to obtain a duplicate title, but NO, I have not tagged the car for over 25 years, those title records have been purged from their system and my title does not exist anymore in duplicate form, they gave me a couple of forms and said I would need to take the car to some office and have it inspected etc, well the car is far from being driveable so that's not going to happen and as you state it's the motor number that is on the title and like you my motor is far from that original motor and in fact was a water damaged bare crate when I got it and I dont think there is a number on it! So I can't get it tagged for street driving until I come up with a title because they have no record of it so my mission is to find the stupid title that is somewhere in my possession. One big hassle!
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: VIN & TITLE #s Reply with quote

I would want vin. # on the auto to match what is on the title. I know that I have that match on my 57. Now, that is not saying the plate on the car is from GM. I think in Street Scene the mag that comes from NSRA monthly, or Goodguys mag. there is a company that makes the door & firewall tags with info you supply. I say this for this reason, if your car is insured and lets say you have a total loss and the insurance company is going to pay off and take salvage rights they are going to ask for a title and I do believe they check vin.# on any plate they can find to the title for a match. Maybe it would be worth it to check out one of those get you a title ads in some of the mags. or it seems like I have heard Ms., Georgia or Alabama you can get a title by just produceing a bill of sale, kinda think it is Ms., heard a guy there owned a car for 25 years didn't have title anymore and insurance company was holding his pay off check on a total loss till he supplied title.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: VIN & TITLE #s Reply with quote

Couldn't find it awhile ago, custom made ID plates, AWARD MART, 602-253-1976, www.award-mart.com Found it in Street Scene.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case if I am not able to find my title I will have to obtain a bonded title .. involving a little $$ and paperwork and inspections and at that time I will be given a state issued VIN number .. for now I am chosing to look more for my lost title until the car is drivable etc ..

there are places that can make replacement VIN tags, but they don't look like the original, they are just an ID number tag .. and I found a place that will make a original stainless VIN tag and that is what I was trying to do when I realized I could not find my title .. because I wanted to verify the VIN number, this guy will not make a exact duplicate VIN tag unless you can provide a title .. fact is because I suspect my title has the motor number on it as they did in '55, I have nothing that tells me what the VIN is .. it was '56 or '57 when the titles switched over to using the VIN ID rather than the motor number I also learned ..

big mess ..
Irv
210 Series

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 55 from a guy in Arkansas back in 2000. It had a good title with the vin off the post. Looking at the vin plate, I knew it was not an original 55 Chevy plate, but I figured, okay I've got a good state title so there would not be a problem getting my Texas title. WRONG! The local tax office processed it with no problem, but when they sent it in to Austin somebody found out this was not a good 55 vin and had the local tax office contact me. I had to take it to a local DPS officer for inspection and he checked the number on top of the frame against a list of numbers of 55 Chevys that had been stolen nation wide thru the years. Luckily, it did not match any of the numbers, so the state issued me a title and assigned me a vin which I had to stamp on my motor.

Irv
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: vin# & title Reply with quote

Guess it was tooo late last night or tooo early this morning when I posted info on AWARD MART. Telephone # CORRECTION is:
602-253-1967
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Vin.# & Title Reply with quote

Hey David, who is it that makes the original plate?

When you get the state issued vin.# will it have 1955 or 2010 for the year?
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I still may pursue getting the title reissued with the VIN number on it from TXDOT. I think what I'll do in the meantime is make my own tag, (we have a machine at my work that stamps information on our aluminum serial numbers plates for our units), that will reflect the "motor number" that is on my current title and rivet it or secure it in another manner in the trunk or elswhere. I mentioned this to my insurance agent and he seemed to like the idea as far as having some manner of proving ownership should the car be stolen and lose the tags and sticker on the windshield. I will at least feel like I did something. Wink
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen this product, but have on good referral that this is as good as original ..

Here is what you do ..

Quote:
Send a picture of the number on the frame along with $200 cash check or money order and a copy of the title and within 3 days of it's receipt a new tag will be on it's way back to you. We simulate the spot weld dimples and you epoxy it to the door jamb.

If you can't get a clear picture of the number on the frame, get a local, county, or state police officer, to witness it and fill out the bottom portion of a Texas VTR-68-A form "application for asigned or reassigned number" form

Send the picture, and copy of tile, or the vTR-68-A with payment to: A.G.Backeast P.O.Box 40011 Grand Junction, CO 81504 www.datatags.com

the vin is stamped on the TOP of the frame near the drivers seat .. I will be taking the body off my frame soon so I am going to be sure and get a photo of the number!
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin.# & Title Reply with quote

melody57 wrote:

When you get the state issued vin.# will it have 1955 or 2010 for the year?

I assume that it is for the year of manufacture of the car, not the year the VIN was assigned ...
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Vin.# & Title Reply with quote

I have had a few customers that have brought in a state issued title and the manufacture is the state and the year of the auto is the year the title is issued. When presented this for insurance the premium for a 2010 is alot more than insurance for a 1955 auto. There are different steps I have to go thru so the customers policy states 2010 like the title reads but they get a 1955 auto premium. Does this type of title affect the value of the auto, hummmm...
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Frame Serial Number Reply with quote

Does anyone know where on the frame the serial number is located? I'm going to have the police verify that my 55 has not been stolen, get a new title with a state issued VIN and hopefully get my insurance straightened out. Not the best way to find out my car is essentially uninsured.
Irv
210 Series

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is on top of the frame rail on the driver's side. With the car up on a lift and you standing underneath between the frame rails looking out towards the driver's door area, you shoud be able to read it with a good light. This is of course if it has been cleaned well enough. It is etched in the frame itself. It is usually only the number, not any prefix letters. At least that is the way mine was.

Irv
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: On top? Reply with quote

Irv, don't you mean the side of the frame? Being on top would mean you would have to take to body off to read it, right? I have the shop manual for the 55, no mention is made of a frame serial number, just the body, engine, transmission, and reair end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: