NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated
The function of this message board has become unstable with no way to update and will be disabled soon.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting VIN on Title
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irv
210 Series

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it is on top. True, there is not much room and I forgot to mention that it helps to have a good light and a mirror.
David Graves
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may take more than a good light and mirror!, if there is dirt/crude buildup .. here is mine to give you an idea where on the frame you should find it, it's the spot down at the bottom with the paint scrubbed off, mine is difficult to see like this, but it's there .. Marvin, just pop the body off yours and you will see it!

additional note .. after the above photo, I found the VIN stamped again about 12-18 inches to the rear of the one in the photo .. I don't know if stamping them twice was common practice but for what it's worth mine is on there twice ..

Last edited by David Graves on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: VIN & TITLE #s Reply with quote

For what it's worth, we have an insurance office in Texas. We are licensed in 8 states so far and we write insurance on street rods, show cars, etc. In Texas about 20% of vehicles on the road are uninsured! Last year a system finally came together called Texas Sure. Texas Sure matches vin. numbers, license plate numbers and owners names to insurance policies and maintains a data base where law enforcement officers and tax offices have a vehicle insurance verification system. Last month alone we had 4 different customers contact us that had received a notice from Texas Sure that there was not a match on their vehicle showing insurance coverage and gave them some steps they had to go thru to prove everything was correct and they had insurance. One customer had given us a vin. number that was missing a number, one customer had insurance in one name but the vehicle was titled in another name. Another customer had bought insurance on 2 cars but one car was titled in his dads name. So, Texas Sure, DPS, Tax Offices and Insurance Offices are uncovering several vin problems and title problems. You can probably go to www.texassure.com or email texassure@tdi.state.tx.us for information.
2NDTIMEAROUND
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, my letter from Texas Sure is what opened this whole can of worms. My Ins. agent had left off one digit from the number that is on my title. I called him about it and he immediatly faxed me a new insurance card with the corrected number. I've had the small plates with my (2) numbers stamped and now need to find a place to attach them. Like I said, it will at least tie the vehical to my title. I will probably end up sending a couple of photos to my Ins. agent for his files.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: VIN & TITLE #s Reply with quote

I think I would put plate in an area where they are generally found. Your agent wouldn't be your problem one day should you have a total loss. It's the adjuster you are going to want to please. Most adjusters if they can see a number where they are generally found his job would be done and he will go to the next claim. You know chances are slim that your going to have a crash and end up in a total loss, but it doesn't hurt to be like a boy scout and BE PREPARED! You are correct in putting something in the agents file. We are starting to ask for titles, registration, copy of bill of sale, just anything and everything we can get to put in the insured's file.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: VIN. # Titles, Plates Reply with quote

I don't know if I am the last to learn about some of the new changes or not so I thought I would throw this out here. We now have the changes with www.texassure.com and there are some new things at www.txdot.gov with license plates and the windshield stickers. If you sell, trade, give as a gift or donate a vehicle to a dealer or individual you should submit form VTR-346 to txdot so you won't be responsible for parking tickets, tolls or other violations. You have 30 days to file this. You should peel off the windshield sticker & remove the license plates then request a $5.00 plate transfer. The new owner can download a permit so they can drive the vehicle to the tax office. My daughter had to spend several hours getting out of parking tickets & toll charges after she sold a vehicle and the other folks didn't transfer it into their name right away.I wouldn't let a dealer tell you something different. Three months after I traded in a vehicle it was still in our name since they had not sold it.
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Shortcut to correcting VIN Reply with quote

After many discussions with the DOT and police, I stamped the old engine serial number (which is on the title) onto my new motor (which was a new one without any serial numbers on it). The police gave it their blessing and now my engine matches my title.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortcut to correcting VIN Reply with quote

Redtogo wrote:
After many discussions with the DOT and police, I stamped the old engine serial number (which is on the title) onto my new motor (which was a new one without any serial numbers on it). The police gave it their blessing and now my engine matches my title.

This should also make an insurance adjuster happy should you ever have a claim. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get one of the companies that make vin.# plates (AD Mart) to make you a plate and affix it where it would normally be.
Marv Cowden
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thats where the problem raises its ugly head. Acording to the DOT the official location of the VIN on 55 Chevys is the engine block, no where else. The body and frame have numbers on them but it is not considered the VIN, only a body and frame number. They bear no resemblence to the offocial VIN on the engine. They are used, with the engine VIN, to identify the car on the stolen property list. The 55 Chevys seem to be the only car with this unique problem. I hate to tinker with them but I might add an additional plate to the body with the engine based VIN, if you don't think it might confuse an insurance adjuster with the two plates.
melody57
Bel Air

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redtogo wrote:
Well, thats where the problem raises its ugly head. Acording to the DOT the official location of the VIN on 55 Chevys is the engine block, no where else. The body and frame have numbers on them but it is not considered the VIN, only a body and frame number. They bear no resemblence to the offocial VIN on the engine. They are used, with the engine VIN, to identify the car on the stolen property list. The 55 Chevys seem to be the only car with this unique problem. I hate to tinker with them but I might add an additional plate to the body with the engine based VIN, if you don't think it might confuse an insurance adjuster with the two plates.

If it was mine I would do as you just said and add a vin.# plate. If I am not mistaken this VIN.# will come up in the law enforcement system if reported stolen, probably appear in Texas Sure system and probably insurance system. Just makes it a little more visable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NOTICE - Dallas Area Classic Chevys Message Board Will Soon Be Deactivated Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: